PDA

View Full Version : morning smoke

royz
20-03-2012, 19:58
when i start the car first thing in the morning of at the end of the day when im on my way home from work the car smokes for about 2/3 mins not a lot but noticable. only dose it at these points in the day but if i drive round all day even when giving it some not smoke at all. can any one shed some light as to what this could be.

westy94
20-03-2012, 20:00
when i start the car first thing in the morning of at the end of the day when im on my way home from work the car smokes for about 2/3 mins not a lot but noticable. only dose it at these points in the day but if i drive round all day even when giving it some not smoke at all. can any one shed some light as to what this could be.

What colour smoke??

royz
20-03-2012, 20:20
its grey in colour and it is deffenitly oil as you can smell it. not loseing water or any other issues.

westy94
20-03-2012, 20:22
Valve oil stem seals mate, that will be head off and head strip to replace, seals are pennys but the labour will cost if you cant do yourself :crap:

Brigsy
20-03-2012, 20:37
Probably condensation mate if its grey. I run no valve stem oil seals and only get a puff of blue smoke on startup

J$£5GTT
20-03-2012, 20:57
Probably condensation mate if its grey. I run no valve stem oil seals and only get a puff of blue smoke on startup

same here although a few weeks ago took it for a spin and done a nice first gear pull away from the lights and covered the bmw behind in snot..:laugh:

the raider just keeps on goin an goin...:D

royz
20-03-2012, 21:01
westy i can do the work its just having the time. i honesly did not think that there would be that much oil from the valve stem seals.

birgsy how long dose yours smoke for. its deffenitly oil as after a few revs my bumper on the clio ha a circle of oil over it but once it stops a few more revs and nothing.

Tony Walker
20-03-2012, 21:06
id say turbo. as the shaft rests when engines stopped oil passes seals. easy enough to check for play in the turbo bearings.

westy94
20-03-2012, 21:08
If its only when the cars cold/been stood and fine all other times with no performance issues, got to be high chance of that! how long since head been off/seals been looked at.

royz
20-03-2012, 21:18
id say turbo. as the shaft rests when engines stopped oil passes seals. easy enough to check for play in the turbo bearings.
hope not only just repalced it. ive had the elbow off last week and found no oil sta in the front or back of the turbo. i did not try the shaft though. ill have to have a look tomorrow.

royz
20-03-2012, 21:20
If its only when the cars cold/been stood and fine all other times with no performance issues, got to be high chance of that! how long since head been off/seals been looked at.
been a few years since last stripped down when i gave it a full rebuild only thing that has gone wrong was a turbo decided to give up.

westy94
20-03-2012, 21:27
Well stem seals would still be my guess bud, not going to kill ya but a pain but will just get worse over time.