PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel removal

Renault 5 GT Turbo
19-03-2012, 00:08
I tried to remove my steering wheel this evening without much luck.

I removed the centre bolt and 'tapped' the steering wheel from behind but no movement whatsoever.

Anyone got any ideas or should I head out to get a steering wheel puller?

Thanks.

Alex
19-03-2012, 07:44
Eat some Weetabix and try again! :D Seriously though they are pretty difficult to remove if they've not been off before. Just give it a damn good pull! :eek:

SCHWARTZ
19-03-2012, 08:08
A good wiggle and a sharp hard tug:cooter:

James5
19-03-2012, 08:15
A good wiggle and a sharp hard tug:cooter:

But leave the bolt on but undo it a few turns as you don't want to pull it to hard and get a smack in the face:laugh::agree:

SCHWARTZ
19-03-2012, 08:35
But leave the bolt on but undo it a few turns as you don't want to pull it to hard and get a smack in the face:laugh::agree:

Well added james, no you don't want to do that:laugh:

Brigsy
19-03-2012, 09:48
Just man up and pull it, bang the back with your hands

Renault 5 GT Turbo
19-03-2012, 10:39
I tried all of the above and still no joy. The wheel has definately not been removed before.

Removed steering wheels from other cars in the past with no issues, I am not being weak about this one I promise!

Woznaldo
19-03-2012, 13:11
You can employ the use of a friend. Spray on some WD40 the night before and when your mate comes round the next day, get him to bring a decent sized hammer. While you sit in the car and pull the wheel towards yourself (with the nut flush with the end of the column), get your mate to tap the end of the column down in the opposite direction. This should free up and corrosion stiction.

If that doesn't work, you might need a grinder and a small amount of plastic explosives......

Sparkie
19-03-2012, 13:11
leave the nut on, just loosen it.
then pull with all your might, whilst wiggling the whole steering wheel left and right. then try the top and bottom of the wheel.
by 'all you might' i mean feet in the footwell straining away....

westy94
19-03-2012, 13:17
please leave the nut on the steering wheel but loose though or when it does come off it will be a trip to a and e for you:scared:

Renault 5 GT Turbo
19-03-2012, 13:23
I am going to try some penetrating oil and then try the above again. Don't worry the centre nut is on loosely when I tug the wheel.

SCHWARTZ
19-03-2012, 13:23
Come on just pop it off:wasntme:

GTphil
19-03-2012, 16:55
Yeah I gave myself a fat lip the first time I did this:ashamed:

Still even now I don't bother leaving the nut on just rely on my cat like reactions! :wasntme:

I pulled and pulled on it then got angry, trouble is that tends to be what happens with everything else that's a bitch to remove and more often than not I break something :dearme: