PDA

View Full Version : Some white junk!

UnstableCable
14-03-2012, 21:52
Been running in a new (to me) motor the last week or so after doing a big overhaul on the car.
When putting the engine in we installed a seperate swirl pot and ran the breather pipe from the rocker cover to the oe swirl pot and then a pipe from there to the seperate swirl pot. The seperate swirl pot has 2 ports so the other was left open to breath.

So after driving it around for a while I have now noticed that the pipe on the seperate swirl that is left to open has a build up of white gunk in it! Also the pipe from the oe swirl pot to sep. swirl pot has alot of moisture build up in it! (can see as its a transparent pipe)

This has obviously raised my concerns but sure if its just due to the cold where causing condensation or the head gasket failing!

Its not using any water and getting around 20psi oil pressure on idle and 45-50psi on boost.

Picture below to help see what Im describing, any Ideas?

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll169/unstablecab/100320121195-Copy.jpg

TNT ANDY
14-03-2012, 21:58
Initially I'd say don't worry - get some miles on here, and 2ndly the mayo you talk of is most probably just condensation build up, I had the same concerns when I put mine back on the road, all is well though.

I think 20psi @ idle sounds low though - correct me if I'm wrong.

UnstableCable
14-03-2012, 22:04
Ok thanks :agree::agree:

Been trying to do some longer runs in it to clear it, did about 40 miles tonight and its still there lol!

Been thinking about a compression test but dont know if Im just over reacting! :scratch:

James5
14-03-2012, 22:17
Initially I'd say don't worry - get some miles on here, and 2ndly the mayo you talk of is most probably just condensation build up, I had the same concerns when I put mine back on the road, all is well though.

I think 20psi @ idle sounds low though - correct me if I'm wrong.

20psi on idle on warm / hot engine sounds ok, on cold engine it will prob be around 40-50psi. As long as it's around 45psi over 3500rpm oil pressure is fine.

Mine used to do that in cold weather aswell, as TNT andy suggests get some miles on it, is there mayo under oil cap

UnstableCable
14-03-2012, 22:24
Yeah getting about 45-50psi when she's first started and then settle to about 18-20psi when warm.

I guess that Ive done about 100miles in it so far, tonight was the most Ive seen of the junk but the temperature dropped of a fair abit before we went so could have caused a fair bit of condensation and its not used any water which is a good sign!

Thanks for the responses, will keep driving it and keep a very close eye on it!

No mayo on cap and looking into the rocker cover the oil looks good!

Thundercat
14-03-2012, 22:28
Seen the same with engines been stood a while, good run and drop oil for fresh seems to do trick.

UnstableCable
14-03-2012, 22:31
Seen the same with engines been stood a while, good run and drop oil for fresh seems to do trick.

Makes sense the engine was stood for about 5 months in a garage!