PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket?

wag1
09-03-2012, 21:39
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Pretty sure you lads know the biscuit better than the lads over on c16v so here goes

Had my Hayward and Scott exhaust built today (very sexy) and on the way home I gave it slight death (not horrendous) and it started smoking heavily...

Initially I thought the worst about everything but then later realised it had done a whole tank of coolant. Topped it up again, another hour it was empty again

Plooms of smoke enough to make a smoke screen

Runs a spesso 1.6mm metal gasket.

Noticed the actuator bolts loose earlier too so the actuator would of had to move alot further before it opened the wastegate. I think its basically over boosted itself and got bang

Tony Walker
09-03-2012, 21:58
Does it sound like its misfiring abit?
Pressurising the coolant hoses quickly?

James5
09-03-2012, 23:14
Does sound like h/g failure, not as if you could crack a liner as there are none

5teve L
10-03-2012, 07:37
Would think it's gasket related if you have smoke/vapour from the exhaust. If you were just loosing coolant I'd have said check for leaks.

HAndy
10-03-2012, 09:46

Pretty sure you lads know the biscuit better than the lads over on c16v so here goes

Had my Hayward and Scott exhaust built today (very sexy) and on the way home I gave it slight death (not horrendous) and it started smoking heavily...

Initially I thought the worst about everything but then later realised it had done a whole tank of coolant. Topped it up again, another hour it was empty again

Plooms of smoke enough to make a smoke screen

Runs a spesso 1.6mm metal gasket.

Noticed the actuator bolts loose earlier too so the actuator would of had to move alot further before it opened the wastegate. I think its basically over boosted itself and got bang

what boost where you running ?and how long where you giving it death:laugh:and how high did the engine temps go:crap:
the emerald ecu should have compensated , even if you where running slightly more than 11 psi at a guess? only thing it may have been running out of injector cc, not so good:ashamed:like been mentioned above, head of and inspect, prob only done the gasket, at worst cracked it or the block (between the headbolt holes, :) check the head with a steel rule and no more than 0.5 gap. you've got forged internals so a bit more resilient to damage, all though any heavy det will still trash them :D
i run a mls gasket and uprated 12.9 tensile bolts ,the bolts you can get in the rtoc shop section, and re- bolt head down to 80-90nm if you want to be on the safe side, or if you've got a bit more cash,arp f4r head bolts share the same thread pitch/dia, but are longer, so you would need some 6mm high tensile spacer /washers,there good for 120nm , if you want to take it to the extreme:smokin: bit over kill, but if you like to over engineer :cooter:
im guessing your boost controler is mechanical, an electro type with twin solinoid and built in overboost saftey would be a good investment, would stop any spiking and give you better control of the actuator also;)

hope thats of some use wag 1:)

wag1
12-03-2012, 05:28

Pretty much all of the above

My injectors were mapped at 283 and pretty much peaked.

Im sure it ran lean and everything. Slight misfiring yes. Still drivable.

Think its an engine out job. Im sick of the bloody thing to be honest. Been nothing but agro. 700 quid on a ****ing H&S exhaust thenthis happens.

Purely because of the aftermarket cams and pulleys I wont attempt the job myself.

I wont be too sad if its done the block.

Thanks for the replys. Lads

Tony Walker
12-03-2012, 19:50
Co test would prob be your best bet, make sure it has gone before you condemn it.

steer from the rear
12-03-2012, 22:27
you can get a coolant tester die that you can add to the system id do all the cheap tests first, i pulled the head off my turbo 2 as i thought the head gasket had gone.......water pump belt come off :crap: foool!

Coops
13-03-2012, 14:02
sad times frank mate :-( but it does sound like you've done the H/G tbh