PDA

View Full Version : gearbox / clutch

gttjames
08-09-2008, 23:46
gearbox has been giving me some real grief recently, the cars on 108,000. And i didnt get any service history with it so dont know if its the original. When i first got it it would sometimes crunch going into 2nd.In the last few days its started locking up, ill be steady driving in 5th at 50/60mph, then go to drop it into 4th and it wont go in, so try 3rd and nothing, cant get any gears, have to pump the clutch a few times and eventurely get it into a gear with a crunch.But then sometimes its as good as gold, will select every gear spot on. e.g it did it on the way out tonight, but then after being parked up for a hourish on the drive home was spot on. Clutch seems fine, dont think its slipping, (if it is its not noticeable) biting point is low.

dangerous dave
08-09-2008, 23:56
i have problems and its the biting point, right at the floor.. uprated valeo, i bloody hate it..

tobester
08-09-2008, 23:58
replace the clutch cable first in case it's stretched, change the oil in the box to see if that helps, check the selector rod is still aligned correctly, make sure your engine mounts haven't dropped out!!

If non of the above then it maybe time for a gearbox rebuild!

Mr_Dave
08-09-2008, 23:58
First thing I'd be doing is getting down the Renault dealers for a new genuine clutch cable, and take it from there :)

Could be 2 different issues - crunching into 2nd could just be the selector needing a bit of fettling

Mr_Dave
08-09-2008, 23:59
Don't you hate that! lol :D Beaten to it!

raj
09-09-2008, 00:02
i have problems and its the biting point, right at the floor.. uprated valeo, i bloody hate it..
that not right! its not the clutch. i fitted valeo clutches on many occasions and the biting point is more top side. id fit a new cable and check your adjuster.

Jay
10-09-2008, 01:50
If i was you i'd get four 2p sized washers and cut a segment out of them so you can slip them over the gearbox end of the cable. If this fixes the problem then you know the cables streched without having to have actually changed it. (Quite a tricky job i thought the 1st time i had to change a cable. ) Obviously if this does fix the problem then get yourself a genuine Renault cable (availible from GSF) instead of just leaving the washers on like i have for the last 5 months.
But then i'm a pikey bar steward :D

frytol
10-09-2008, 02:33
Check your clutch pedal. When it's loose (washers tends to tear up) it's really hard to shift gears without crunching.

gttjames
16-09-2008, 21:54
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Have tried the washer method and has improved alot,hasnt 'locked' up on me once.Have got a clutrch cable in the shed, are only the genuine renault ones good then?

Kris M
16-09-2008, 22:37
Yeah mate, genuine only cables are the best, pattern ones tend to be no where near as good, only 20 odd quid from renault

gttjames
19-09-2008, 15:12

ok mate cheers, will get a renault one, one in the shed isnt renault

UNICRONICUS
19-09-2008, 16:26
If it is the auto ratchet thing on the clutch pedal, wasn't there an old trick to push the clutch down all the way and slide your foot off to let the pedal snap back up quickly, thus resetting/reseating the ratchet? Or is there a shower of freezing cold FAIL coming my way?

michael tierney
20-09-2008, 23:31

if u change the oil put duchams synthetic in it!! its 75w/90s or somthing like that!!