PDA

View Full Version : Cooked the negative wire again!!!

Nottswoody
29-02-2012, 09:03
Have I wired the starter wrong again?? When I tighten it it won't start but leave it loose it will start put my foot down today and it's toasted the negative to the battery again!! Help!!

clee
29-02-2012, 09:21
Sounds like the + is touching ground somehow .
Starter is earthed by bolting to casing .You should only have + wiring .Heavy cable to starter and small to solenoid .

Nottswoody
29-02-2012, 09:23
Hi and thanks. Now I'm going to sound daft. The selonoid? You have two nuts on the back of the starter which is which?

ranj
29-02-2012, 09:24
Yep as above ... cable from battery + to starter ... Is cable original or a replacement heavy duty one ???? Carries a lot of amps .

clee
29-02-2012, 09:33
Big nut for main heavy cable .Have you got a dowel location on the starter ? It should have one .

Nottswoody
29-02-2012, 10:17
Hi
It's all original but Iv noticed both are on the left nut and nothing on the right nut.. Iv just bought it and it was like that..

Scoff
29-02-2012, 12:50
The starter has a smaller barrell like thing on the side, usually they have 2 13 nuts on. That is the solenoid. The battery live should go to one of these bolts. The same bolt that has the thinner red wire on which goes round to the alternator. The other bolt on the solenoid should have a short braided cable (or similar) that goes into the main body of the starter itself. It's probably caked up in crud so you might not have noticed that small wire. Nothing else should go to this nut. Some solenoids have only the one nut anyway, in which case the battery and alternator wire should go to it.

SCHWARTZ
29-02-2012, 13:01
Sorry for the hijack, but my starter has power from the battery and an earth to the same 13mm nut:scratch: this is how it was when I got the car, I have swapped engine but wired the starter the same. It seems to work fine and has been like for a few years. Should I remove the earth and bolt it to the block somewhere?

markey b
29-02-2012, 13:02
Sorry for the hijack, but my starter has power from the battery and an earth to the same 13mm nut:scratch: this is how it was when I got the car, I have swapped engine but wired the starter the same. It seems to work fine and has been like for a few years. Should I remove the earth and bolt it to the block somewhere?

thats not an earth, its 2x power leads ;)

one comes down from batt, other one goes round front of engine to alt

SCHWARTZ
29-02-2012, 13:05
Ah that makes more sense:ashamed: I will check but I'm sure your right otherwise I would be cooking everything:laugh:

James5
29-02-2012, 13:10
Ah that makes more sense:ashamed: I will check but I'm sure your right otherwise I would be cooking everything:laugh:

:laugh: Gary your so special :laugh: numpty

SCHWARTZ
29-02-2012, 13:17
Was sitting in the van and I was sure I had 2 wires going to the starter so why would there be 2 for power so 1had to be an earth:laugh::ashamed:

Tony Walker
01-03-2012, 00:05
Was sitting in the van and I was sure I had 2 wires going to the starter so why would there be 2 for power so 1had to be an earth:laugh::ashamed:

Wouldnt be an earth for long........... :D

Nottswoody
01-03-2012, 08:24
Hi guys

I'm under the car now do need some advice so the + main gos to the selonoid why have I got another main cable on there to? Were dose that one go?

Nottswoody
01-03-2012, 08:33
Right I can see what's happend.. The other cable is a main from the cables that go to the front of the car were should that go?

Nottswoody
01-03-2012, 08:41
It's the main for the alternator were do I bolt that to I'd not to the starter?

SCHWARTZ
01-03-2012, 11:05
Yeah turns out there is one from the alt and one from battery both go to the same point on the starter.