PDA

View Full Version : Fifth gear, and the lack of it

Steevo
28-02-2012, 21:18
Since i've bought my car, i've had no fifth gear... the gearbox doesn't whine or jump out of gear and the clutch is great. It engages all other gears fine. It's just when I go from 4th to attempt 5th it's like it's not even there.

The engine had just been put back in after a rebuild just before I bought I bought it, and i'm assuming it could be something to do with that. Is there anything obvious I could check?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
28-02-2012, 21:19
Adjustment of the gear lever assembly is probably a good place to start.

Steevo
28-02-2012, 21:24
Adjustment of the gear lever assembly is probably a good place to start.

Is that a straighforward job? It's something i've never attempted :crap:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
28-02-2012, 21:27
Fairly easy.
First off is the gear lever kinked over to one side more than the other? i.e. more to the drivers side than the passengers side.

Take a look in the articles section, I think there is a guide in there under engines, gearboxes etc......;)

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
28-02-2012, 21:32
There you go......
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4798

Steevo
28-02-2012, 21:39
Fairly easy.
First off is the gear lever kinked over to one side more than the other? i.e. more to the drivers side than the passengers side.

Take a look in the articles section, I think there is a guide in there under engines, gearboxes etc......;)

Just taken a look... it doesn't appear to be no. I'll take a look at the link. Thanks Matt:agree:

Os8472
28-02-2012, 21:40
Not bring funny but u sure a previous owner didn't fit a 4 speed box as a quick fix

Steevo
28-02-2012, 21:43
Not bring funny but u sure a previous owner didn't fit a 4 speed box as a quick fix

Very possibly, but i bloody hope not. Just be another thing to add to the list :cool:

TNT ANDY
28-02-2012, 21:45
@ 70mph - how many RPM you doing?

Steevo
28-02-2012, 21:48
@ 70mph - how many RPM you doing?

I don't know yet, never done 70mph in the time i've driven it. Will get it MOT'd soon, then i'll take it out and find out. If it helps it doesn't drive any differently revs wise to my other GTT's i've owned....

Ricardo
28-02-2012, 22:05
I 'lost' 5th gear in my old phase 1 Clio 172, the gearbox end cover was taken off to see if the nut holding 5th gear was loose. Unfortunately all the teeth had been stripped off, bearings, cracks inside the casing.

I drove without 5th gear for months, would go into 5th, just no drive :ashamed:

Steevo
28-02-2012, 22:19
I 'lost' 5th gear in my old phase 1 Clio 172, the gearbox end cover was taken off to see if the nut holding 5th gear was loose. Unfortunately all the teeth had been stripped off, bearings, cracks inside the casing.

I drove without 5th gear for months, would go into 5th, just no drive :ashamed:

It's going to be something like that on mine, i'm not lucky enough for it simply to be a linkage adjustment :p