PDA

View Full Version : Help my decision making as im stumped....

mkandy
28-02-2012, 20:49
I am seriously stuck with a decision about my 5 project. I picked up the car about 6-8 months ago knowing that it needed a fair bit of work, but i didnt realise just how much as the car was'nt really complete and as working as well as it should have been (my error i know)

I did tons of welding to the floor pan and all the other common areas and thought that if i cracked on with the body prep work i could get it sprayed. I set myself a goal of just over a month and started to rub down and fill the parts but the date came around quicker than i anticipated so i had to cancel the slot. I was hoping that by doing most of the labour and then just getting it painted it would save me heaps of money but i was still said to be costing just over the grand for final checks and painting etc.....

in the back of my mind i know these cars are a money pit and i knew this before starting it all.

I brought lots of bits so that the car would be a clean as it could be but without knowing i had spent about a grand without getting the paint done and £500 for the car aswell as needing probably about another grand to two on the turbo and bits to finish it.

Now sadly my mum passed away last monday and has got me thinking about things and one of them being this little head ache.

I have always wanted a subaru impreza since Macrae won the rally in 95, but never got one due to getting a mortgage so early so i had just gone for smaller more affordable cars hence the r5 2nd one now on the drive. But i do love them!!! ;)

I am thinking is it really worth all the agro and ear ache off of the wife as im in the garage and not spending time with my 2 boys.... and just get a car that i can just get in and turn the key and come to all the events in the car calender?

I am that close i have just gone and taken a photo of all the parts that are of a decent value and have made a list of what i want for them and thats about a thousand?

What would you lot be doing?

Thanks Andy a very lost individual

TNT ANDY
28-02-2012, 21:00
I am seriously stuck with a decision about my 5 project. I picked up the car about 6-8 months ago knowing that it needed a fair bit of work, but i didnt realise just how much as the car was'nt really complete and as working as well as it should have been (my error i know)

I did tons of welding to the floor pan and all the other common areas and thought that if i cracked on with the body prep work i could get it sprayed. I set myself a goal of just over a month and started to rub down and fill the parts but the date came around quicker than i anticipated so i had to cancel the slot. I was hoping that by doing most of the labour and then just getting it painted it would save me heaps of money but i was still said to be costing just over the grand for final checks and painting etc.....

in the back of my mind i know these cars are a money pit and i knew this before starting it all.

I brought lots of bits so that the car would be a clean as it could be but without knowing i had spent about a grand without getting the paint done and £500 for the car aswell as needing probably about another grand to two on the turbo and bits to finish it.

Now sadly my mum passed away last monday and has got me thinking about things and one of them being this little head ache.

I have always wanted a subaru impreza since Macrae won the rally in 95, but never got one due to getting a mortgage so early so i had just gone for smaller more affordable cars hence the r5 2nd one now on the drive. But i do love them!!! ;)

I am thinking is it really worth all the agro and ear ache off of the wife as im in the garage and not spending time with my 2 boys.... and just get a car that i can just get in and turn the key and come to all the events in the car calender?

I am that close i have just gone and taken a photo of all the parts that are of a decent value and have made a list of what i want for them and thats about a thousand?

What would you lot be doing?

Thanks Andy a very lost individual

Firstly - Very sorry to here about your mum there, really sorry - that's goto be hard.

Secondly - Don't think you're the only one to have thought about getting rid and getting a taxi instead of the 5. By the sounds of it, you've got most of the ****ty stuff done. My advise is put it on hold for a while, cover it up, spend some time with the family and forget about it. It will call you when it want's doing. I've been there and done that and was very lucky to have a real good mate help me pull it together and now I'm out of the other side, I'm so glad I've done it. Mine was off the road for 3.5 years end to end. I don't think I will ever get rid of Fluffy.

Currently I have bought another car to work on with some money my late gran left me, but I havwe also lost the urge for the mini scene. It's now in the garage until I get the horn for it again.

Hang in there - it's worth it.

chris
28-02-2012, 21:14
First of all i am very sorry to here bout ur mum. But when you got the car u must of had a vision something u wanted to achive with the car if you sold it for bits would you feel as tho you have given up? or would you just be glad its gone? And i take it you havent owned an impreza before if not they are extremley exspensive to run fuel and parts and if you have to go to a garage with it then that will be dear also if u where to sell the renault you wont get much of impreza for they money you make off the renault. But its your choice and i hope i have helped all the best andy