PDA

View Full Version : speedo stopped moving

cook1981
28-02-2012, 19:59
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi people I'm new to renault 5s and my speedo has stopped working, sometimes its fine and others it doesn't move at all, all the other gauges seam to be working fine though, has anyone got any ideas

Markey Mark (BD)
28-02-2012, 20:02
Remove the clocks and check the connection behind and make sure its nice and clean, also the join in the engine bay make syre thats ok too. Its a black cylinder connector which lives near the passenger suspension turret

cook1981
28-02-2012, 20:05

how easy is it to remove the clocks, will give this a try tomorrow as I'm off, also thanks for the quick reply

SirSamuelOfBuca
28-02-2012, 20:11
I'd check the wire. Mine melted on the exhaust. It comes out of the bulk head and is white and attaches to the lower part. The lower is the one most likely damaged.

chezzer85
28-02-2012, 20:27
clocks are easy to remove, the plastic shelf looking thing above the instument panel just slides up, and i think the instument panel is held on by two screws. DON'T DIG A SCREW DRIVER UNDER THE INSTUMENT PANEL, just be gental and it comes out easy enough.

J$£5GTT
28-02-2012, 23:17
be a good idea to remove the connector on passenger turret and put another one on there,you can get just do it with block connectors or twist the wires together then tape up or use flashy super sleeve's.

:)

adscan
29-02-2012, 00:16
Mine went the same way. Replaced the top speedo cable and all was well again.

cook1981
29-02-2012, 21:48

Where is the best place to buy a replacement top part for the speedo cable and I'll give that a try, this is my first old car, my wife and about 10 others are waiting to tell me "I told you so" but I always wanted a 5 turbo when I was younger lol

Gibbo69
29-02-2012, 22:00

Where is the best place to buy a replacement top part for the speedo cable and I'll give that a try, this is my first old car, my wife and about 10 others are waiting to tell me "I told you so" but I always wanted a 5 turbo when I was younger lol

Before you go out and buy a new cable & disconnecting the clocks ect ... As the guys have said there is grey cable with a black connection by the passanger suspension turret .... Disconnect it & get a wire brush on the 3 prong connectors ... Bit of WD40 and I may just do the trick:) works with mine everytime ;)

Gibbo

cook1981
01-03-2012, 16:01
Thanks folks speedo working again, while I was at it I replaced the tatty phase 2 rear door card with phase 1 ones makes such a difference and they shine up great with flash dash