PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help and advice!!

Nottswoody
26-02-2012, 09:14
Should my fuel gauge sender have petrol in it it's like a pool under the seat I removed the cover and there was lots of petrol bubbling this carny be right any ideas?

Ashy
26-02-2012, 09:15
no, you mean that when you remove the plastic cover under the back seat there is fuel on top of the tank?

Nottswoody
26-02-2012, 09:16
Yer lots has the seals gone?

Nottswoody
26-02-2012, 09:17
Any easy fixes? I have the bible in front of me. Haynes :-)

Ashy
26-02-2012, 09:32
heres what i would do...

I guess the tank is pretty full if its coming out of the top of the sender unit.

I assume youve checked the pipes are nice and secure and they aren't leaking rather than a problem with the seal? You could bridge the fuel pump relay to run the pump whilst you watch for any problems.

I would then drain a good few litres out of the tank. you could do this by bridging the fuel pump relay and removing the carb feed pipe and puting it into a tank.

Remove the fuel pipes and breather (you might want to mark them up before removing them), Remove the sender wiring.

Unscrew the securing ring that holds the sender into the tank, the sender unit can then be withdrawn.

when you look into the top of the tank there is a notch cut out in the rim and in the seal, these must line up with the locating lump on the sender unit. If its put in slightly out of position it will leak in the way you describe.

Once you have cleaned the seal, the seat and the sender you want to line up the notches in the seal and the rim, then insert the sender so it locates properly. Then unless you have the proper tool to insert the securing ring I find the best way to do it is to compress the securing ring (you will see there is gap in it, similar to a piston ring). Compress it so the gap is closed, there are small holes in either end of it where you can pass a cable tie through. This allows you to keep the ring compressed whilst you screw it back in. Make sure its really tight, use a screwdriver and hammer to get it fully locked down. Then remove the cable tie and tap it round a few more times to make sure its fully secured.

Hopefully that should sort your problem.

Nottswoody
26-02-2012, 09:44
Cheers mate..

It actually says empty and on reserve pump the bubbles was coming from round the edges and still is with the car turned off.. Think Iv bought a bag of spanners!! She will not break me :-)