PDA

View Full Version : Renault Megane 225 - Good daily?

Steevo
22-02-2012, 23:49
I'm looking for a new daily driver around the 5-6k mark, and i travel 60 miles round trip to work each day, so i've been looking at the Megane 225 or possibly the Clio 197... does anyone either own or have any experience on whether they are a good buy? The Megane's appear cheap considering power/spec, but i'm wondering what the downsides could be....... any input appreciated :)

gttjames
23-02-2012, 00:40
Megane over the clio for better mpg, and also quicker, and its a turbo so ease of tunning. Unless your working on it yourself, things like clutches, cambelts etc are all fairly labour heavy so will cost you.

Turbofreak
23-02-2012, 04:03
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Megane over clio I have done 180+kkm on mine and turbo ftw o:D

Steevo
23-02-2012, 07:14
I'm surprised that the megane is better on fuel. I Would be doing the basic servicing myself but yeah the bigger jobs I would leave to the pros.....

jesus in the seat of a 5
23-02-2012, 21:05
steve , ive tried both , i still use the meggy 225 as a daily, beautifull to drive , good on fuel unless you plant everywhere and luxury all the way...as for the servicing..big items, just get friendly with a good garage, id pick it any day over the clio 172 i had , it had lairy cams etc etc but still didnt touch it...on all parts.

Steevo
23-02-2012, 22:11
Thanks mate, think i'm sold on the Megane.... plus it has the turbo:agree:

More importantly, you cannot get a better endorsement than from Jesus himself

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/MrCanonfire/photo-7.jpg

Moggy
24-02-2012, 05:47
I love mine

keep thinking about getting rid, but had it from new and it keeps refusing to leave!

just don't waste your money on meganesport.net stay over here as unless you like polish or moaning how bad your car is made, its just some guy taking money and pocketing it!:coffee:

only a few things to watch, but its seems the main at at the moment is a 'non self centering steering' which is caused by the hub swivel bearings sticking at your looking at around £500 a side to sort

so if the steering is stiff and seems to have a mind of its own, walk away or factor it into the price

apart from that, get one and enjoy it!

Rob1980
24-02-2012, 07:45
For a 60 mile round trip every day, would a diesel not be a good option?

Steevo
24-02-2012, 08:50
Thanks for the info Moggy :D

Yeah diesel would be cheaper but if I'm driving 60 miles a day then I'd rather pay a little extra and actually enjoy the drive.

dangerous dave
24-02-2012, 12:06
Thanks for the info Moggy :D

Yeah diesel would be cheaper but if I'm driving 60 miles a day then I'd rather pay a little extra and actually enjoy the drive.

Is good diesel can be cheaper but with the extra you can for diesel it's sometimes not huge. If you have a good handling petrol you just need to hold speed, don't waste fuel flooring it only to scrub it off. My vans sh1te on diesel but I never brake, I push cars down b roads as its so heavy and planted.. In the end I do ok, 55mph everywhere, over bridges, hairpin bends, past schools.. Braking just slows you down.

If you drive the megane right it'll be fine...

jesus in the seat of a 5
24-02-2012, 19:25
Is good diesel can be cheaper but with the extra you can for diesel it's sometimes not huge. If you have a good handling petrol you just need to hold speed, don't waste fuel flooring it only to scrub it off. My vans sh1te on diesel but I never brake, I push cars down b roads as its so heavy and planted.. In the end I do ok, 55mph everywhere, over bridges, hairpin bends, past schools.. Braking just slows you down.

If you drive the megane right it'll be fine...

dave you really need to go to rehab bud..... what you :smokin:....:laugh:, steevo , i was in doubt bud but i havent looked back , get a low mile jobbie , cam belt etc done , low amount of owners and enjoy , dont believe any of the ohh this goes wrong etc brigade , only the tyre sensors can be buggers as they have a limited life and start to break down but they arent exspensive either ...not needed...yeah but...:laugh:.

Ps love the pic , maybe theres a lmtd run meggy in it... the holy225...:laugh:

Steevo
24-02-2012, 20:29
:laugh: yeah I'll pay extra for that, should never break down :agree: