PDA

View Full Version : jesus goin up hill

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-02-2012, 19:33
Just thought some may be interested in my new venture / project , just before oilvia was born.... allmost two years ago...:laugh: , i promised myself i`d have a hillclimb car and i`d do a full season of hillclimbs and sprints.....:laugh:, yeah right... a little daughter put that idea to bed..:laugh:, still i had aquired penfolds coupe car and made some changes to it and was prepping it just for that.................

well just as i was getting there and thinkin of renewing my msa liscence etc etc.. a friend {james george} put his car up for sale... well me being me i couldnt resist...:laugh:, lets just say after a few friendly coffee`s and some SERIOUS haggaling ,i bought it..:) and sold the coupe {not the rowan atkinson car} as it was still a little bit of a way to go to where i wanted it...:cry::)

cut a long story short , ive now bought a new helmet , renewed my liscence and booked four hillclimbs and four sprints....:D, all i need to do is learn how to drive...:laugh::wasntme:

i must say a big thanks to james for all his ear bending i do and all of his help....:agree:

ohh and heres a few pics of the car...:laugh:, wish me i luck ... who knows i may just do well...:p, im looking forward to it.....it only took two years...:laugh:

Pigsnake
18-02-2012, 20:23
Car looks awesome mate.let us know some of the dates as would be good to come and watch.:agree:

Tony Walker
18-02-2012, 20:53
Fantastic :agree: good luck

modfather
18-02-2012, 20:53
good luck mate

Steevo
18-02-2012, 20:55
Wow James' car has changed a lot since I saw it last! Looks great and good luck!:agree::)

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-02-2012, 21:22
cheers guys for all the kind words, should be good and a little different to all the track days ive done thus far, got a whole list of changes i may do in the future to the car but for now i just plan to use it all season. just waiting to hear from gurston down hillcimb as to whether or not i can compete in their championship too.....:)

Sam Fish
18-02-2012, 21:24
Nice one Matt! Are you going to get an onboard camera? It is always good to watch the session back.

You should put one of your coupe badges to use on that :cooter: :D

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-02-2012, 21:26
Nice one Matt! Are you going to get an onboard camera? It is always good to watch the session back.

You should put one of your coupe badges to use on that :cooter: :D

Not sure if theyre allowed bud...consult the blue book again...:laugh:, i have one , if so...err yes, as for the coupe badge......:laugh::p

Mart
18-02-2012, 22:27
:cool: :agree:

scratcher
18-02-2012, 22:41
Nice buy there dude :D And good luck in your events!

Can I ask what the bit sticking out of the front bumper is? I've seen it on a lot of racy cars and guessed it was something to do with timing gear?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
18-02-2012, 23:15
Cameras are fine, but check your SR's first or contact the circuit/organisers.
Good luck!;)....could always give you a hand with the driving:laugh:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
18-02-2012, 23:16
Nice buy there dude :D And good luck in your events!

Can I ask what the bit sticking out of the front bumper is? I've seen it on a lot of racy cars and guessed it was something to do with timing gear?

'Timing strut' for sprint/hill climb timing beam.

jesus in the seat of a 5
19-02-2012, 11:38
'Timing strut' for sprint/hill climb timing beam.

indeed , ive just snapped mine so im waiting on a 3m sheet of black plastic to come any moment... as for the driving tution matty... i think im allright cheers bud.....:laugh:;), so i can use the camera to it seems , or so the comp secretary tells me.
First sprint is at coombe on saturday the 24th of march... i only hope the cars msa log book comes back in time...:laugh:

allanr5gtt
19-02-2012, 20:38
is that coombe near yeovil?

jesus in the seat of a 5
20-02-2012, 14:17
is that coombe near yeovil?

its at castle coombe race circuit bud.

jesus in the seat of a 5
23-02-2012, 19:39
right , tried the new fia gloves earlier on the oe steering wheel.... hmm not a nice feel, like touching ice with slik....:laugh: so i hopped on rallynuts and got myself a nice flat suede jobbie, i frickin hate drivin in gloves but rules is rules....:dearme::laugh:, got a few more bits to do and i should be about ready.....:)

Penfold aka The Dealer
25-02-2012, 01:38
I have been meaning to post but keep forgetting to...

car looks good Matty :agree:, I am so tempted to put the cup stickers on my red one (would help cover up a few pink bits haha.

jesus in the seat of a 5
25-02-2012, 19:23
I have been meaning to post but keep forgetting to...

car looks good Matty :agree:, I am so tempted to put the cup stickers on my red one (would help cover up a few pink bits haha.

cheers chris, im sure i can swing stickers bud...anytime..;), done a few more bits today , emptied the catch tank of all the evaporated scum etc and flushed it out...:), made up two new timming struts and started to convert the steering wheel to sude jobbie.:)

Os8472
25-02-2012, 19:28
Jesus going up a hill, wasn't that in the bible somewhere? :D

jesus in the seat of a 5
25-02-2012, 19:31
Jesus going up a hill, wasn't that in the bible somewhere? :D

Amen stud muffin.....:) , im also sure it mentioned boost....:laugh:

Os8472
25-02-2012, 19:47
Amen stud muffin.....:) , im also sure it mentioned boost....:laugh:

Of course it does, where would we be without boost :)

jesus in the seat of a 5
17-03-2012, 12:07
right , first sprint is next weekend, i think luke{pigsnake} and his family and james george and his family are popping along for support etc which is nice...:), im more or less ready , a few things to do etc as allways...:laugh: , its funny really as its the first thing ive done thats actually timed and im bricking it...:laugh:, still if i start off slow and work up the pace im sure itll all come good...or ill lose it at quarry and the car will blow up...:laugh:, on a lighter note , any peeps got any suggestions with regards what tools to take as im makin a list...:)

all i gotta do is hope the ole citroen berlingo i picked up tows the car and trailer... it is a 1.9 so im hoping it will.....:laugh::).

everyone is wellcome along and to be honest i could do with a pit person/ assitant with me so any offers......:laugh:;):D

bod 182
17-03-2012, 12:46
Matt my pug 1.9 expert van pulled my clio cup and trailer fine,you will be fine just a case of building up confidence and you will get quicker,anyway you have help from the allmighty:)

Sy5GTT
17-03-2012, 17:27
You there all day jeez?

I might pop over :-)

jesus in the seat of a 5
17-03-2012, 17:42
You there all day jeez?

I might pop over :-)

yes bud , be really good to see you guys...its been too long....:agree::)

bod, cheers bud , yeah im sure itll be good on the day..."why is that guy in a robe in the paddock"........:laugh::wasntme::D

RussellT
18-03-2012, 07:50
excellent news are you running in road going or the stripped out mod prod class?

RussellT
18-03-2012, 07:54
re cameras you need a propper mount clamped to something solid the scrut and Clerk ofthe course OK and finally the OK fromthe venue.

RussellT
18-03-2012, 07:58
re tools you can gen borrow all that you need from fellow competitors. I take a tyre pressure gauge and compressor screwdriver leatherman cable ties duct tape wheel nut spanner. Best bit of kit is a self errect tent to keep things dry, Halfords sell a good one.

RussellT
18-03-2012, 08:05
as for in car videos check out turborussell on youtube.

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-03-2012, 18:27
Thanks russ for all the replies buddy , good advice....:), yeah i have a good mount for the camera that ive used on the coupe before so ill try it and see what they say.
got a loose tool kit mocked up....hopefully ill not need it too much....:laugh:
Thank people for the support and replies ................... much appreciated :D

sorry russ, im meant to say mod prod salloons.

RussellT
19-03-2012, 19:16
link to some 2 camera incar vid from Harewood Hill climb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpJKKUT4hYw

I was missing the restrictors in the breather hoses thats why she was bogging down off throttle.

Ran a 68.5 sec run last year which is much more like it :D

w35ty
19-03-2012, 19:27
Good vid mate! Loving the foot work:smokin:

westy94
19-03-2012, 19:30
Awesome little vid
:agree:

Tony Walker
19-03-2012, 20:57
:D
link to some 2 camera incar vid from Harewood Hill climb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpJKKUT4hYw

I was missing the restrictors in the breather hoses thats why she was bogging down off throttle.

Ran a 68.5 sec run last year which is much more like it :D

That last hairpin looks immense fun, must be so satisfying getting that right

jesus in the seat of a 5
19-03-2012, 21:12
well done russ . something to aspire too i guess , well , hopefully ill get some footage :)

allanr5gtt
19-03-2012, 22:04
jesus did you get my pm

g10far
20-03-2012, 09:18
Love it Jesus! You'll be able to open a Renault museum soon with all these 5's, i'm sure of it! :agree:

RussellT
20-03-2012, 09:35
Thanks for the comments, you can tell by the resigned tone of my voice that I had given it my all and was way off the pace (a bit like Lewis at the weekend :sad:)

Getting your car in perfect working order for the events is a major challenge especially as I use her every day and to drive to and from the events there is always something on its last legs or a missfire etc its like spinning plates.

Jesus I should mention this book its really well worth getting and will tell you all you need to know and even includes some tips on driving the main venues

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hillclimbing-Sprinting-The-Essential-Manual/dp/1845841034/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332236058&sr=1-1

You should be able to get a second hand copy a lot cheaper than this though! :eek:

jesus in the seat of a 5
20-03-2012, 19:21
Cheers russ for all the input bud , someone with a real intrest which is nice...:), yes buddy i have that book, nice collection of photos of you in it too....:laugh:;), tis a good book , i bought it when doin a lot of track days and hey presto here we are....:).

more or less ready with most things, im sure there is something ill forget or something i should of done but i think ive coverd the basiscs so im going opened minded and viewing it as a rude introduction and a bonding session with the car and the sport...:D

ohh and al`, ive just seen your pm....:agree::)

Alastair
20-03-2012, 19:25
Cheers russ for all the input bud , someone with a real intrest which is nice...:), yes buddy i have that book, nice collection of photos of you in it too....:laugh:;), tis a good book , i bought it when doin a lot of track days and hey presto here we are....:).

more or less ready with most things, im sure there is something ill forget or something i should of done but i think ive coverd the basiscs so im going opened minded and viewing it as a rude introduction and a bonding session with the car and the sport...:D

ohh and al`, ive just seen your pm....:agree::)

Mmm which one?:laugh:

Sy5GTT
21-03-2012, 16:03
Do you know what time your on track? Might pop over after lunch mate :agree:

jesus in the seat of a 5
21-03-2012, 21:06
Do you know what time your on track? Might pop over after lunch mate :agree:

on and off all day buddy, if the car and driving allow....:laugh::wasntme:

allanr5gtt
22-03-2012, 20:06
do you know how much it is to get in? and what time it starts?

jesus in the seat of a 5
22-03-2012, 20:55
do you know how much it is to get in? and what time it starts?

for me al` it starts at 7,30 , i think its free , if not cheap as ....:)

Woznaldo
23-03-2012, 11:17
Good luck today oh holy one. The most important thing is to have some fun! ;)

BluntyR5GTT
23-03-2012, 11:24
good luck matey, do us proud and as above have fun :)

Sy5GTT
23-03-2012, 13:48
It's tomorrow chaps :agree:

jesus in the seat of a 5
23-03-2012, 19:16
Thanks guys for all the encouragement , hopefully james or sy will get some pics etc too...;), shes all loaded up , set on low boost to start with the sticky avon`s to boot, the belingo took her round town for half an hour today also....:laugh: on a test flight, seems to pull it well...:), right a 5.40 start and away we go.
what ive forgotten, well tough , its happening and i feel excited....:D, lets hope the ole girl does me proud and that i manage fo have fun etc etc....:cool:

Tony Walker
23-03-2012, 19:22
Good luck :agree:........... very jealous, im sure itll be great fun.

jesus in the seat of a 5
23-03-2012, 19:24
Good luck :agree:........... very jealous, im sure itll be great fun.

cheers tony, thanks bud...:)

TNT ANDY
23-03-2012, 19:26
Not so much good luck 'o' Holy 1, but enjoy yourself and the rest will follow. You're living the dream man.

jesus in the seat of a 5
23-03-2012, 19:28
Not so much good luck 'o' Holy 1, but enjoy yourself and the rest will follow. You're living the dream man.

:laugh:...cheers andy...doing it while the wife and daughter say yes daddy you go for it, you work hard enough in them blimmin trees...:laugh::laugh:

The new Bill J
23-03-2012, 19:37
As the others have said: enjoy the man fun tomorrow, and but yourself :scared:

allanr5gtt
26-03-2012, 21:44
how did you get on bud?

Tony Walker
26-03-2012, 22:28
:coffee:

jesus in the seat of a 5
27-03-2012, 19:53
Hey guys , sorry in late update , was a cracking day , started at 5am , the berlingo loaded up etc towed it all no worries so i was off to a good start... could be good enough to sleep in at national me thinks...:D.
After the signing on etc and a once over it was time for a practice lap, had to wait as some helpfull soul chucked oil all over the place just before my go....:laugh:. well i took it steady and took the ole girl out , boost and all...:) , she blimmin wellwent like a rocket..:cool:, built up the pace and come into the paddock , she didnt miss a beat and was a pleasure to drive.
On the first timed run i went for it and pushed her a bit...:), she was faultless and did me proud , on the second and last timed sprint i really went for it with the slicks on...went so well, felt planted , tight in every corner and just right , was definetely the quickest lap an time yet...didnt stick around to read my times but ill check the website and get back to you guys. All in all was a great first event , cracking weather , great people and good to be out there doing it.

Big thanks to those whomb came along , james george , who was on his death bed with lurgy...:laugh: and alan, which was very appreciated , thanks guys.

only criticisim was there was sometime a long wait between timed attempts as there were so many cars, also could of done with more runs. pics will follow :)

Tony Walker
27-03-2012, 19:56
Sounds great, look forward to some pics.

Alastair
28-03-2012, 23:43
Awesome mate ! Glad you enjoyed it! And more importantly you got a full day done and a finish, with no damage! Ready to go again then! Sprints always seem slow... But that allows time for tea and biccies in between (and a noddy at the competition!)...!

It is properly addictive though, watch out! PS engine PM inbound ...

jesus in the seat of a 5
04-04-2012, 20:50
right , had a blinding day at gurston down hillclimb, started off with a 52 sec run of the hill...was a bit hesitant as the climb holds some surprises to it...:laugh:, kept on goin up and giving it some wellie run after run , managed a 40 sec run in the end with the boost ran at approx 16psi, hmm wonder what it will run turned up to the full 23psi..:laugh:. a cracking day , some really good folks/ drivers there and ill be back soon , hopefully ill crack the 30`s....;):laugh::p

RussellT
04-04-2012, 21:12
Well done Jesus its good fun isnt it.

jesus in the seat of a 5
04-04-2012, 21:14
Well done Jesus its good fun isnt it.

indeed russ, no going back now, im going to do gurston again soon and wiscombe park after that i hope...if the car...ohh and family will let me..:laugh::agree:

Andrew Cooke
04-04-2012, 21:39
I just looked back to my first times at Gurston in 2002!!, it was my 7th ever event, the car was pretty much a standard cup car then, but with stiffer front springs, standard diff, intercooler, but I'd fitted a T28 as the T2 had died. It would have been running about 18psi (I seen to recall trying to read the boost gauge going through the finish :laugh: ) I was running A15 Avons all around.

anyway, first run 39.51, best run 37.74. My best ever is 35.49 on my 3rd visit.

I remember noticing a huge single black line coming out of Ashes whilst returning back down the hill, each time I came down there was a new one. T28 and an open diff :D

For 2003 I'd welded the diff up, no more single black lines for me :)

Gurston is pretty intimidating, I get both wheels spinning in the left hander before the finish, makes the car want to shoot off into the hedge, I found it better going faster so that it was just short of the rev limit, that way the rev limiter stopped the wheels spinning too much.

Are you going to run at Prescott, or somewhere nearer to me?

You need a bit more seat time to learn what the slicks do, it took me until about that Gurston meet to begin to understand them.

Sam Fish
05-04-2012, 13:13
Would you get the most seat time on a trackday maybe? Instead of 30 seconds at a time. Just to get used to the slicks?

Although, I suppose you need to get used to them pretty cold on a hillclimb! Stone cold rear tyres :agree:

jesus in the seat of a 5
06-04-2012, 19:28
cheers for the feedback guys , im sure after a few more hillclimbs etc ill get the times down, to be honest at the mo , im just enjoyin being out there and doing it , i may turn the boost up next time etc , i may not but ill defo put the camera in and add a few things to the car i reckon... except weight...;), andy , ill not be doin prescott just yet but never rule anyhting out is what i say....:D, wonder if i should put my lsd box in...i know you said dont bother..:laugh:..;)

jesus in the seat of a 5
06-04-2012, 22:05
http://sbkmotorsport.com/p740322705/h135fcf08#h135fcf08 :)

jesus in the seat of a 5
06-04-2012, 22:07
http://sbkmotorsport.com/p740322705/h135fcf08#h3c3d758e :)

Kris M
07-04-2012, 08:12
:agree:

TNT ANDY
07-04-2012, 08:49
Looking good Jesus - Sorry about all the hot x buns atm. Bet you cheesed of about it this time of year:cooter: Dont worry though, Monday you can sneak off and live the life of Bria...... erm I mean Riley.

Great looking car, fantastic stance and a beard to die for :laugh:

jesus in the seat of a 5
29-04-2012, 22:34
just a quick up date , next sprint is at llandow next weekend , anyone fancies comin along your wellcome...ill drive us. ive upped the boost now , lets see how she does this time round....:D:laugh:, hopefully get some pics tooooo.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
30-04-2012, 07:43
Have fun Matty. But at the same time, be safe.
Unfortunately we lost Sandra Harrison-Moore at the weekend, competing at Goodwood sprint.

Andrew Cooke
30-04-2012, 13:19
watch your tyres there, if you lock up they'll be D shaped:cry:

jesus in the seat of a 5
30-04-2012, 22:00
thanks for the replies guys, yeah im gonna have fun i hope and come back in one piece, ive done the circuit before so that should help a wee bit i hope.

jesus in the seat of a 5
06-05-2012, 20:00
Great day out, weather held out enough to use slicks all day ...:), llandow is a great circuit for a 5 for sure..:agree:, meet some great and helpfull people there..from all three clubs involved!!!!!, BMC, pegasus and the welsh boys.. after a push start to get the ole gil going...:laugh:, i managed two nice practice runs and continued the theme with a 96 sec runs then a 92..:),this was based on a lap and three quarters..:D i reckon i could of been quicker and still havent turned up the boost to where james was runnin it at...:laugh:, lovin this, wish id done it years ago, its a lot of organising but well worth it..gettin to know the car , some good friends and a good sport....jesus..:)

ps, finished second in my class too....

Tony Walker
06-05-2012, 20:02
:agree::D really hope to do this at some point.

Pigsnake
06-05-2012, 23:47
Good to hear your gettin on well dude.:agree: will try and get to see you soon.;)

jesus in the seat of a 5
08-05-2012, 20:37
Good to hear your gettin on well dude.:agree: will try and get to see you soon.;)

cheers luke , that would be great bud...:agree::agree:

jesus in the seat of a 5
21-11-2012, 21:27
been doin quite a bit to the ole girl of late...on the quiet, just taken the old engine out..allthough it was a cracker @190bhp , i was after a wee bit more power, grip etc etc...so ive just put this in and mated to the new recon and quaiffe atb gearbox ..... ive loads more going on with it and will add some more pics and info when i can, trying to get it all done for next seasons hillclimbs.....:)

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=1419&pictureid=7553

Kris M
21-11-2012, 22:31
win!

Tony Walker
21-11-2012, 22:36
really tempted to put a few pennies away to buy a lsd after watching you go through those chicanes at Oulton, following you through i honestly couldnt believe what i saw, no other car there that day went through them like you did lol.

Penfold aka The Dealer
21-11-2012, 22:47
Looking good Matt :)

Dave Reed
22-11-2012, 07:47
been doin quite a bit to the ole girl of late...on the quiet, just taken the old engine out..allthough it was a cracker @190bhp , i was after a wee bit more power, grip etc etc...so ive just put this in and mated to the new recon and quaiffe atb gearbox ..... ive loads more going on with it and will add some more pics and info when i can, trying to get it all done for next seasons hillclimbs.....:)

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=1419&pictureid=7553

I've seen the engine in the pic before somewhere :scratch:

Dave Reed
22-11-2012, 07:47
And why is it not running yet?? :D

Logg
22-11-2012, 09:23
Hmmmmmm not sure I like the idea of the holly one entering the 21st century of RTOC tunning. :dearme:

Looking good Matt :D she'll have some balls now with that lump in her. :laugh:

Logg 3:16

jesus in the seat of a 5
22-11-2012, 19:10
Thanks for the kind replies guys, yeah, im really looking forward to efi and all the possibilities it brings etc...:agree:, ohh and dave its in, i just cant upload the pics....:laugh:, will try and sort more pics to show whats been done etc...:laugh: the hope is with the power of 280bhp ,the diff, the willwood brakes and i hope a clio wiiliams wide track,it shoulld be a blast to drive and give me an edge on competition...:laugh:

Alex
22-11-2012, 19:19
That sounds like an awesome set up! :cool:

jesus in the seat of a 5
22-11-2012, 19:27
That sounds like an awesome set up! :cool:

Thankyou Al`.... weve been taking more and more weight out of it also...:D

Alex
22-11-2012, 19:33
.....and with a bit of luck you've managed to remove that big heavy cage so I can buy it off you! ;)

jesus in the seat of a 5
22-11-2012, 19:45
.....and with a bit of luck you've managed to remove that big heavy cage so I can buy it off you! ;)

:laugh:.....:agree:, its on the "over christmas" list buddy.....:laugh::agree:

Pigsnake
22-11-2012, 22:08
Lookin forward to seeing this next year matty. :agree: let us know when your first outing is bud.

jesus in the seat of a 5
23-11-2012, 20:10
Cheers luke, will do for sure my good friend.....

Tony Walker
23-11-2012, 20:47
Looks fantastic :D did any of the video of Oulton come out? i doubt its very good but it would be nice to see even a poor video lol. Ive found the fault with my wheel bearing noise, sorted it yesterday. the pin securing my drivers side drive shaft had sheered which resulted in it sliding nearly off making my CV joint make a horrible rumbling grinding noise. One roll pin later..... all sorted lol.

jesus in the seat of a 5
05-01-2013, 19:53
Got a rare few moments today, i was supposed to have the whole day off but due to a little princess needing some my little ponies i only had two hours...:laugh:, still got all the boost run in and on tight... all made up of other bits i had lying around .. ohh and a hacksaw...;), i have to drill the hole for the braided fuel lines to go through.. plumb some more bits in and put the rest of the pipe work in etc, then im off to scoffs for a day...:agree:, hope to make the first hillclimb at gurston down this year!!!!!

Woznaldo
06-01-2013, 13:03
Sounds good, looking forward to seeing how the new setup handles! Glad to hear you are having a ball doing too.