PDA

View Full Version : 200bhp

groky
13-02-2012, 22:13
can 200 bhp be gained using std internals? if so what turbo will need to be used, what size should the jets be drilled to? and at what psi. i understand that every car reacts different to each mod depending on the condition of the engine. my engine was rebuilt 1000miles ago could do with a carb over haul to finish off the rebuild.

Big Steve - Raider
13-02-2012, 22:19
can 200 bhp be gained using std internals? if so what turbo will need to be used, what size should the jets be drilled to? and at what psi. i understand that every car reacts different to each mod depending on the condition of the engine. my engine was rebuilt 1000miles ago could do with a carb over haul to finish off the rebuild.

Have a read of THIS LITTLE BEAUTY (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=22002) first.

Then get your MINCE PIES ROUND THIS (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4762).

;)

J$£5GTT
13-02-2012, 22:22
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=20847&highlight=200bhp

:):agree:

DaveMayGTT
14-02-2012, 11:55
Then get your MINCE PIES ROUND THIS (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4762).

;)

The whats the best way to start modifying section of that article seems a little out dated, might need someone to revisit it.

Big Steve - Raider
14-02-2012, 12:28
The whats the best way to start modifying section of that article seems a little out dated, might need someone to revisit it.

There's not a lot that's new in the world of the C1J so the information should still be relavent.

The best way to start modifying your car is:

Think when the last time was you gave the car a service & give it one if you've not done so
Get the existing fuelling through the carb checked to ensure you're not running lean at the moment.
Check all the Intercooling Hosing is in good condition
Check the Intercooler has been strapped & Flapped (if using OE Intercooler) or if you have a new alloy intercooler.
Check the Turbo for bearing wear (See if the turbine wheel movement is excessive
Once you've checked the above you can then think about turning the boost and fuelling up to suit the Turbo/Carb Set up or change the Turbo & Intercooler for a larger units to allow more boost.

groky
14-02-2012, 16:57
ok so lets say i was to buy a t25 what should i be looking to be buying in turbine sizes?

BluntyR5GTT
14-02-2012, 17:02
housing wise you want .48 front and .49 rear

groky
15-02-2012, 08:35
anyone on here know where a t25.48 .49 can be bought and a guide price for reference.

groky
15-02-2012, 08:44
would i be right in beleiving thta the saab 9000 1991-98 use this turbo

James5
15-02-2012, 08:54
anyone on here know where a t25.48 .49 can be bought and a guide price for reference.

Rover tomcat's 620turbo, 420turbo to name a couple, for them to fit you will need to rotate the housing's to fit the gtt, oil feed adaptor will be required aswell as oil drain adaptor, use your t2 water feed and outlet pipe's, blank of the DV on compressor housing, they can be picked up cheap used but be prepared to go through a couple

James5
15-02-2012, 08:59
Rover tomcat's 620turbo, 420turbo to name a couple, for them to fit you will need to rotate the housing's to fit the gtt, oil feed adaptor will be required aswell as oil drain adaptor, use your t2 water feed and outlet pipe's, blank of the DV on compressor housing, they can be picked up cheap used but be prepared to go through a couple

I also remember that a Fiat coupe turbo is a T28 with with .49 rear housing but has a different flange outlet to a gtt

Mart
15-02-2012, 09:52
What's special about 200hp? :)

You can squeeze ~180hp out of the o.e T2, which, at the boost level you'd be running, would give around 200 'torques' [/Clarkson] - That'll make for a great road car (read driveability) than fitting a larger blower with its laggy response nature.

Track usage is a different kettle of fish of course...maybe, but chasing numbers just for pub bragging rights is craaazy dog [/Westwood].

If that's the case, aim for 230-240hp as that's 'easily' achievable, and shouldn't hurt the wallet too much in the process.

Imho.

DaveMayGTT
15-02-2012, 10:11
There's not a lot that's new in the world of the C1J so the information should still be relavent.

The best way to start modifying your car is:

Think when the last time was you gave the car a service & give it one if you've not done so
Get the existing fuelling through the carb checked to ensure you're not running lean at the moment.
Check all the Intercooling Hosing is in good condition
Check the Intercooler has been strapped & Flapped (if using OE Intercooler) or if you have a new alloy intercooler.
Check the Turbo for bearing wear (See if the turbine wheel movement is excessive
Once you've checked the above you can then think about turning the boost and fuelling up to suit the Turbo/Carb Set up or change the Turbo & Intercooler for a larger units to allow more boost.

Apparently your wrong steve, what you want is some new alloys and a copper core rad ;)

Like I say maybe an update is needed.

Brigsy
15-02-2012, 10:19
What's special about 200hp? :)

You can squeeze ~180hp out of the o.e T2, which, at the boost level you'd be running, would give around 200 'torques' [/Clarkson] - That'll make for a great road car (read driveability) than fitting a larger blower with its laggy response nature.

Track usage is a different kettle of fish of course...maybe, but chasing numbers just for pub bragging rights is craaazy dog [/Westwood].

If that's the case, aim for 230-240hp as that's 'easily' achievable, and shouldn't hurt the wallet too much in the process.

Imho.

From experience you would have to flog the nads off a standard t2 to get 180bhp?? Best ive ever made is 150hp fly at 1bar manifold, realistically the limit boost wise before charge temps shoot through the roof?

Mart
15-02-2012, 10:44
Hence the word squeeze.

For ref', Trusty ran 173hp on an o.e T2, on an otherwise standard engine...

Brigsy
15-02-2012, 10:52
Im assuming 18-20 psi boost, standard t2 will last 5 mins on a good day:laugh: do it properly and upgrade..

Mart
15-02-2012, 10:58
You assume all you want mate :)

The same T2 is still running fine to this day, with about 8 years of trackday abuse under its belt, and a 13.5 pass @ Pod also to its name.

;)

Ian S
15-02-2012, 11:45
The whats the best way to start modifying section of that article seems a little out dated, might need someone to revisit it.You're not wrong!! Some of that stuff is from 'antiquity'. And I think during the transitions from server to server, site to site over the last 4 years some stuff went missing. In fact, we did lose about a year of my updating of the articles and I've not been back there to do all that again as I've not been so 'into' 5GTT's over the last few years.

Ian S
15-02-2012, 11:54
I'd have to agree with Mart here as my car in the OE form had just a larger compressor wheel fitted into a bored out OE housing and going by the trap times and speed of about 14.4sec and just under 100mph, was making about 180bhp ??

All standard apart from a 1.275 main jet, 15psi at the manifold, the compressor wheel, the cup mod and a Mongoose exhaust from the bored turbo elbow. And maybe a Renix 208. Standard road wheels and tyres.

The exact same turbo was measured on an engine dyno, attached to a 1.3 litre motorcycle engine, and at 8000rpm and 15psi made 180bhp.

Brizza
15-02-2012, 12:00

Yeah nice little project adapting and fitting that, I fitted one and got some pleasing results :)

groky
15-02-2012, 16:53
i have a standard turbo on a B18ft engine which i have, what turbo would it be and would it be up to the job. it in good nick with very little play on the shaft.

Also 200bhp is a target i would like to hit with alittle bit reliability not just bragging rights, owned the car for 6 years or so now running 9psi with very little problems and dont want to let it go because i want more power. i feel everyone wanting a more from there car sets there self a target wether its 10,11,12 second quarter miles or180,200,250 bhp.

BluntyR5GTT
15-02-2012, 16:57
the b18ft runs a t2 turbo im pretty sure it has slightly larger trim comp wheel, not sure about turbine though

Big Steve - Raider
15-02-2012, 18:04
For ref', Trusty ran 173hp on an o.e T2, on an otherwise standard engine...

There's always 1 in 1000 which is just that little bit better, unfortunately the bodywork let the marvelous engine of Trusty down. ;)