PDA

View Full Version : One for the gym bunnies

clee
13-02-2012, 19:34
;)

Me-Dawny has started going to the gym .She usually jogs round the parks but with the bad weather and such slip injuries put her out of action for ages .
Anyway ,they do an induction course etc and last Thursday had her lifting 5kg hand weights ...flat on the back on a bench ,out to the side up to the middle 15reps + push-ups straight after then etc etc
I reckon that is way too much for a total novice of a certain age :coffee: She has been in some real pain for the last few days and good for nothing ...Is it too much too soon ?
She did them but it's now put her off .

djinuk
13-02-2012, 19:44
i personally feel thats a lot for a woman on a starting out, id imagine no weights or 2kg would be more suitable, saying that on my first few days i didnt really have much pain, however it was that same exccersize that i felt the most, i think its because its a muscle that is very rarely uused.. but i myself am novice..

clee
13-02-2012, 19:48
I thought the same . 2 or 3 max ? She has been in real pain since Sat :crap:

mike r5 gtt
13-02-2012, 20:06
id say that was a fair amount for a lady if she is new to weights, id drop the weight a little, prob 2/3kg and if she finds it too easy just up the reps before uping the weight

there will prob be pain the first few times but it shouldnt really last more than 2 days, if there is still pain after that i prob drop the weight a little again.

its alot easier to start light and get bigger

Rinzler
13-02-2012, 20:20
sounds like a body pump class, 5kg too much when at full extension - esp for a starter.. 2 kgs.

no pain no gain :mad:

clee
13-02-2012, 20:32
Thanks guys .
She knew it was too much but you do tend to rely on instruction with these things especially in that environment .TBH she is quite happy to just do the CV stuff, the other training is included and worth having but only if it is done correctly .

D4WNO
13-02-2012, 20:56
5kg is way too much. I used to be really into my fitness and was told if a woman doesn't want to build "manly" style muscle then no more than 2.5-3kg each side (this lower amount will tone, not build)

mike r5 gtt
13-02-2012, 20:59
just out of curiosity was this a "big name" gym or a small local one?

clee
13-02-2012, 21:11
Local one in Heanor . Run of the mill leisure center ,pool ,indoor ball court + treadmill/bikes with a screen sort of thing .
She doesn't want manly muscles just keep the bingo wings at bay ;)

Matt Cole
13-02-2012, 21:34
I used to train with a lass called shirley. She used to leg press 250kg!:D

Brigsy
13-02-2012, 21:37
No pain no gain ;)

Does sound like a fair bit of weight for a beginner, most of the so called 'gym' imstructors are crap in the leisure centre places mate. Try and get a proper plan sorted from a personal trainer or somebody in the know??

Big Steve - Raider
13-02-2012, 21:40
No pain no gain ;)

Does sound like a fair bit of weight for a beginner, most of the so called 'gym' imstructors are crap in the leisure centre places mate. Try and get a proper plan sorted from a personal trainer or somebody in the know??

Like a moth to a lightbulb.... :wasntme: Knew old "Benchpress Brigsy" couldn't stay away from a Gym thread for long! :laugh::laugh:

;)

J$£5GTT
13-02-2012, 21:48
Local one in Heanor . Run of the mill leisure center ,pool ,indoor ball court + treadmill/bikes with a screen sort of thing .
She doesn't want manly muscles just keep the bingo wings at bay ;)

orange glow optional!!!
:cooter:

Brigsy
13-02-2012, 21:48
Nowt wrong with a bit of training, get on it before you get fat steve :laugh:

clee
13-02-2012, 21:51
orange glow optional!!!
:cooter:

It's like Benidorm round here but with more tattoo parlors :cooter:

Big Steve - Raider
13-02-2012, 21:51
before you get fat steve :laugh:

GET Fat?! :scratch: :laugh:

I'm already on it like Sonic Mr Briggs & will hopefully be ready for the Mr RTOC Competition in June ;)

J$£5GTT
13-02-2012, 21:54
Nowt wrong with a bit of training, get on it before you get fat steve :laugh:

agree....c'mom stavros!!!

mondeo de lardo!!!
:wasntme::cooter:

Big Steve - Raider
13-02-2012, 21:59
agree....c'mom stavros!!!

mondeo de lardo!!!
:wasntme::cooter:

I need to be careful though J, I don't want to become fit & turn into a Hermit like you have! :cooter: :laugh:

old skool turbo power
13-02-2012, 22:05
;)

Me-Dawny has started going to the gym .She usually jogs round the parks but with the bad weather and such slip injuries put her out of action for ages .
Anyway ,they do an induction course etc and last Thursday had her lifting 5kg hand weights ...flat on the back on a bench ,out to the side up to the middle 15reps + push-ups straight after then etc etc
I reckon that is way too much for a total novice of a certain age :coffee: She has been in some real pain for the last few days and good for nothing ...Is it too much too soon ?
She did them but it's now put her off .

the instructor should of realy made her warm up 1st this might of lead her into this pain that she has got had she not of warmed up:crap:typical school boy error.
id guess her chest,all over shoulders and prob arms will be in pain quite a bit.
5kg for a woman as well each side id guess would be pretty heavy esp if you have never ever worked out in that way with dumbells.
imo the machines are just bout right for women to use and they can be pretty safe,i wouldnt make them be chuckin dumbells all over the shop :crap:keep fit and thats it:agree:

a typical thing i see at the gym is this :crap::disagree:the video is pretty spot on :agree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tI9F68-nGc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16MCQKVszGE he makes it look easy :laugh:

J$£5GTT
13-02-2012, 22:06
I need to be careful though J, I don't want to become fit & turn into a Hermit like you have! :cooter: :laugh:

:D

Alex
14-02-2012, 08:00
In fairness 5k is a pretty small dumbell but when you start extending it out to the sides it does become pretty hard going, especially if you're not used to lifting weights. There's always going to be some 'pain' after lifting weights for the first time but if she's in a LOT of pain then she's been over-done a bit.

How often does she plan on going the gym? My advice is wait until the pains gone away and try the same thing again - I bet it doesn't hurt anything like as much next time ;) (this he say's sitting her with a back back from a poorly performed squat!) Make sure she does at least a couple of warm up sets before hand.

'Go hard or go home' :D

D4WNO
14-02-2012, 09:43
There shouldn't be any pain, only an ache if it's been done properly. 5kg is far too much for a woman unless you want to build muscle, which I think it's fair to say most ladies don't.

Get her to maybe download one of the Tracy Anderson workout DVDs, she explains very well the science behind "feminising" weights for toning rather than building.

So sick of some "trainers" at gyms just not knowing anything about their job, they say the same thing to everyone, despite their size, goals, time able to spend on working out etc.

clee
14-02-2012, 09:51
Exactly this ..

' id guess her chest,all over shoulders and prob arms will be in pain quite a bit. '

So much that she felt sick with it .

Back there this morning to do the treadmills but she has another appointment with the 'Instructor' soon :coffee:

Normally tries to get there every other day for running

Slim
14-02-2012, 10:33
pain is completely normal wen working out,, specially for the first time!! if you dont feel anything... no point going.

Alex
14-02-2012, 12:27
If she's feeling physically sick then she's done way too much. How many sets did the instructor make her do? I still say that if she gives it time to recover then does the same thing again she won't be in half the pain. Pain (to an extent obviously) is par for the course in weigh training.

Speak to the instructor and see what he/she says about it.....

J$£5GTT
14-02-2012, 17:49
i know plenty of girls who can crush concrete blocks between there thighs...

Ashy
14-02-2012, 20:31
i know plenty of girls who can crush concrete blocks between there thighs...

Pics?

chezzer85
14-02-2012, 21:09
The exercize sounds like whats call flies, I do circuit training once a week, and there's some women there who are proper fitness freaks and i have never seen them do this exercize with anything more than 4kg. So i think 5kg for a novice is way to much. (i'm happy doing about 7 or 8kg). As for pain i crave the dull aching sensation for about 48hrs after a good work out, but any intense pain is not good. hope this helps

Matt Cole
14-02-2012, 21:17
I've trained legs before and been physically sick. Lads at the gym think its hilarious.:dearme: All in all in the 20 yrs ive been in gyms ive seen burst blood vessels, vomiting, abscess explosions, collapsing, ripped biceps / pectorals and one death.

Can't wait to get back to be honest!:D

Alastair
14-02-2012, 21:44
The exercize sounds like whats call flies, I do circuit training once a week, and there's some women there who are proper fitness freaks and i have never seen them do this exercize with anything more than 4kg. So i think 5kg for a novice is way to much. (i'm happy doing about 7 or 8kg). As for pain i crave the dull aching sensation for about 48hrs after a good work out, but any intense pain is not good. hope this helps

You can get rid of the aching with a cold bath and proper stretching. Or by training every day!:laugh:

Brigsy
14-02-2012, 22:44
I've trained legs before and been physically sick. Lads at the gym think its hilarious.:dearme: All in all in the 20 yrs ive been in gyms ive seen burst blood vessels, vomiting, abscess explosions, collapsing, ripped biceps / pectorals and one death.

Same crack in my gym, nobody has died yet though!

Im always close to spewing after heavy squats, train insane or remain the same :D

old skool turbo power
14-02-2012, 22:57

Im always close to spewing after heavy squats, train insane or remain the same :D

been close to being sick before.the gym i train in now a a old building that basicly has no central heating and ive been use to that,a good warm up and ur up and away.one of thoes places in the winter its cold but in the summer its boling.
i was traing over a fitness gym:scared: it was a new gym(well new to me):laugh:over in ireland as i was abit bored and had time to spare g/f was busy.i was training quite a bit was doin a set of flys and half way through it i has to stop even after drinkin quite a fair bit of water and ONE window open trainers off i was close to passsing out,had to tell myself to calm down.:laugh:

rs250nut
14-02-2012, 23:13

Pre season football training normally gets me spewing

Brigsy
14-02-2012, 23:28
been close to being sick before.the gym i train in now a a old building that basicly has no central heating and ive been use to that,a good warm up and ur up and away.one of thoes places in the winter its cold but in the summer its boling.
i was traing over a fitness gym:scared: it was a new gym(well new to me):laugh:over in ireland as i was abit bored and had time to spare g/f was busy.i was training quite a bit was doin a set of flys and half way through it i has to stop even after drinkin quite a fair bit of water and ONE window open trainers off i was close to passsing out,had to tell myself to calm down.:laugh:

Sounds like my gym, the backstreet ones are the best. No heating and smashed windows, train hard and you sharp get warmed up! Miles cheaper and better than the leisure centre places. Was -4 in there the other day, perfect temp for training:D

gttjames
15-02-2012, 01:26

your gym sounds hardcore :eek:

iv been training 4 years now and never really seen much, people failing on bench and having a bar on them, weights falling off etc

Allthough 1 guy has got a nasty scar under his armpit to his chest, says he was benching 180kg back in the day and it literally tore him open - owch

5alldaway
15-02-2012, 03:02
your gym sounds hardcore :eek:

iv been training 4 years now and never really seen much, people failing on bench and having a bar on them, weights falling off etc

Allthough 1 guy has got a nasty scar under his armpit to his chest, says he was benching 180kg back in the day and it literally tore him open - owch

theres this polish chap down my gym literally sitting there picking the scabs off his back and bleeding, doesnt stop him pumping tho

philg
15-02-2012, 08:41
I must be to old now, i like a well insulated building with heating, somewhere nice and clean, swimming pool and a steam room to :ashamed:

Brigsy
15-02-2012, 13:47
I thought you geordies wore t shirts and shorts all year round, man up phil:laugh:

J$£5GTT
15-02-2012, 14:43
come out on a ride with me i will make you all spew!!!!

:cooter::laugh:

The new Bill J
15-02-2012, 15:08

Anyone who goes out on a 200 mile ride 'because they're bored', has got problems :laugh:

Big Steve - Raider
15-02-2012, 18:01

Being taken out & humped by J until I spew? :scratch:

Count me out of that! :crap:

J$£5GTT
15-02-2012, 21:29
Anyone who goes out on a 200 mile ride 'because they're bored', has got problems :laugh:

257 miles last week billy...414 kms...going for the 200 mile day soon..:cooter:

philg
16-02-2012, 08:22
I thought you geordies wore t shirts and shorts all year round, man up phil:laugh:

Im working outside 5 days a weeks all year, im all man :D

Turbofreak
19-02-2012, 08:38
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hey man I am a traiiner myself 5kg is a a lot to start on but then again doing a push up for a lady is probably more than 5kg nothing wrong with starting on bodyweight training ,as I start that with a few of my clients you just need to stretch properly for the next few days as DOMS sets in delayed onset muscle stifness wich is @ maximum 48hr after training and could continue for another 48hrs , so she should be ok. Some of the trainers/insturcters like to overdue things in the first session ,which I personallu don't like as could make your client never come back as they didn't enjoy the trainingb

Ian S
19-02-2012, 09:10
L-Glutamine will reduce or eliminate DOMS. I know this from personally taking it over the years.

It needs to be taken just before doing the damage as it reduces catabolism so in, eg, a pre-work out shake or pre-work out on it own (dissolved in water).

And it's not just for Gym workouts. My 80 year old dad came over to help me remove a chimney breast, he was a bricklayer at one point as well as rugby player, and I gave him 20grams of it in water before lunch.

He phoned me the next day to say how amazed he was with the complete effectiveness of that 'stuff', as he had none of the muscular soreness or stiffness at all that he'd been expecting.