PDA

View Full Version : Removing gearbox, but leaving in engine

Chris Holt
12-02-2012, 18:00
Has anyone removed the gearbox but left the engine in before.. If so how

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
12-02-2012, 18:07
With a R5 GTT?

Drain gearbox, take bonnet off, remove shafts, starter, turbo, strut brace if you have one, gearbox studs, intercooler and pipes. Lift it out from the top....;)

gttjames
12-02-2012, 18:08
yer people do it, think theres even a guide on here.

I just pull the lot out

J$£5GTT
12-02-2012, 19:04
done gearbox in and engine out...so other way round is doable then matt?

:)

Brigsy
12-02-2012, 20:04
I found it tricky to do mate, just as quick pulling the lot out. You have to drain the coolant and gearbox oil, turbo off, shafts out intercooler off etc so hardl any extra work.

Chris Holt
12-02-2012, 20:23
Why would the coolant need to be drained? Can't I just move all the pipes over... I need to do it as the clutch has started to slip and can't face taking block out again (recent rebuild)

J$£5GTT
12-02-2012, 20:28
I found it tricky to do mate, just as quick pulling the lot out. You have to drain the coolant and gearbox oil, turbo off, shafts out intercooler off etc so hardl any extra work.

its not that big of a job,get stuck in,time you looked on here for updates you could have done it...:cooter::wasntme:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
12-02-2012, 20:28
done gearbox in and engine out...so other way round is doable then matt?

:)

Yep, thats how I did the gearbox swap on Matt C (Jesus in the seat of a 5) 'Rowan car', don't need to drain coolant, just clamp off the turbo coolant hoses with brake pipe clamps.

Brigsy
12-02-2012, 20:40
Header tank in the scuttle on the coupe though?? I found it tricky lifting box out and refitting and caused a few battle wounds to the paintwork and my hands in the process.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
12-02-2012, 20:48
Header tank in the scuttle on the coupe though?? I found it tricky lifting box out and refitting and caused a few battle wounds to the paintwork and my hands in the process.

Just depends on how careful you are:laugh: