PDA

View Full Version : gtt bodykit fitting

mike r5 gtt
11-02-2012, 20:49
started to strip my car today to see the extent of the bodywork issues :crap:

and one of the many million problems is all of the arch fixings/screws have snapped or ripped themselves apart :cry:

so im wondering if there is a way of bonding the kit on or filling all of the holes and then re-screwing them back on??

iv never touched/attempted any bodywork before so had a bit of a shocker today after finding a fair bit of rot :cry::cry:

i was planning of starting a project thread but need to find out if im going to attack all the work or give up and weigh it in and so didnt want the shortest project thread in history

TNT Tricky Nicky
11-02-2012, 21:14
If you can get the fixings off the car then you can put a bit of tiger seal or similar in to the body kit fixing point, then just push the fixing in which will hold it tight again
If the fixing point has come apart or off you can repair it with a bit of fiberglass, it doesn't have to be pretty because it won't be seen when on the car ;)

Get a project up with plenty of pics, it will help others to offer the right advice, as they say a picture speaks a thousand words

Junglist
11-02-2012, 21:26
Hi mate , same prob when i stripped mine down , just get some small bolts, cut the heads off chuck the heads away and glue the bolt shaft into your arches , i used fibreglass resin . been good for a year now :)

mike r5 gtt
11-02-2012, 21:39
the 10mm nuts on the inside of the arches are seized and so have pulled or snapped the studs and so im left with the spikes hanging from the arches so i was hoping to somehow fill the holes in the plastic arches and then just re use the studs

but i had no idea how much the bodykit hides :cry: looks like i need to cut the rear quarter along where the plastic arch sits and get a new bit welded in :eek:

iv got some pics, il try and get some up

mike r5 gtt
11-02-2012, 21:41
so would it be better to fix the studs into the plastic arches? so they are removable with the bodykit

i was thinking of trying to bond the kit on but then if i ever need to take it off id be screwed

Junglist
11-02-2012, 21:45
chin up m8 be worth it in the end :).
i had the bolts left in my arches also but i just cut them off .

djinuk
11-02-2012, 22:31
nylon thread and wing nuts.. ebay

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=7962

also trix and flix did the same..get a good epoxy resin to glue them in.

mike r5 gtt
11-02-2012, 22:50
nylon thread and wing nuts.. ebay

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=7962

also trix and flix did the same..get a good epoxy resin to glue them in.

wow i feel a hell of alot better about my sills after seeing the ones in your thread!!:eek:

u did an amazing job tho :agree::agree: im gona leave the spraying etc to someone who knows what they are doing as iv never picked up a spray gun

way i was looking at it is sills etc can b cut off, replaced etc so my biggest worry is around the bottom of the rear quaters as they will need to be cut and repaired

TNT Tricky Nicky
11-02-2012, 22:53
Shame you resorted to pulling the kit off, generally if you unwind the nuts it winds the screw part out of the bodykit so you can do a little off each one at a time and the kit moves away from the body.

Everything us fixable, just depends how much time and or money you want to invest .

I did see the nylon thread and nut trick, not 100% sold on it myself, if you've ever tried to remove an old number plate which has been held on with nylon nuts and bolts you'll understand where I'm coming from, maybe a nylon thread and stainless nut would be a good idea

djinuk
11-02-2012, 22:53
where abouts are you based ?

you want to really shop about to findsomebody you can trust for r5's mate, theres so many people out there doing substandard work.

The guy doing the full paint on my r5 at the moment is the best bodyshop guy ive found in a long time, truely dedicated, and an amazing welder.. best of all his prices are fair and reasonable.

the nylon thread and nuts done the job for me matey :), so long as the thread is very well bonded then there should be no issues at all. I use wing nuts, purely because its easier.

mike r5 gtt
11-02-2012, 23:02
Shame you resorted to pulling the kit off, generally if you unwind the nuts it winds the screw part out of the bodykit so you can do a little off each one at a time and the kit moves away from the body.

Everything us fixable, just depends how much time and or money you want to invest .

I did see the nylon thread and nut trick, not 100% sold on it myself, if you've ever tried to remove an old number plate which has been held on with nylon nuts and bolts you'll understand where I'm coming from, maybe a nylon thread and stainless nut would be a good idea

on one side iv managed to get the kit off, leaving the studs in the body but the other side the kit had been attacked before and glued to the arch plus the arch is rotten so it mostly cumbled :cry:

mike r5 gtt
11-02-2012, 23:06
this is prob the worst bit of the arch .....

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac237/mikeandjade/renaults/pearl%20white%20gtt/IMAG0788.jpg