PDA

View Full Version : sump leak!!!!!!!

CHUNK The Goonies
10-02-2012, 19:52
Right im going to attempt to seal my sump for the 3rd time as other attempts have failed!!! ive got some new half moon seals and some sealant which is frickin mining black stuff which ive used before and supposedly good for sumps etc... anyway should i try the cork seal this time or just weld the fecker to the block :laugh: this cant fail this time as it does my heeeed in doing such a boring miming job,. ive also borrowed a car lift for a few hours so no lying on me back

michael tierney
10-02-2012, 20:43
ur better off leaving the block to drain for as long as possible...if u dont oil will leak onto ur sealant....not a quick job with engine the right way up!! gaskits is better way unless u have the reno thick white sealant!

Matt Cole
11-02-2012, 09:27
Young. Might be worth popping lo renault and seeing if they still do thixo paste. That stuff was awesome and I never had any problems with it.

gttjames
11-02-2012, 10:16
Iv just done mine, left cork gasket as is with no sealent, but used some sealent we had at work on the half moon seals, hope it works (fingers crossed)

like said though mine had been properly drained so cleaned the sump up and where the gasket seats on the block

Kris M
11-02-2012, 11:15
Bit of brake cleaner on the mating faces gets rid of any oily / greasy residue...I also went over the face of the sump with some emery paper to give the sealent a slightly rough surface to adhere to. Sealant doesnt tend to stick to really cold / smooth surfaces. So if your doing it outside in this weather its not gonna do you any favours :crap:

gttjames
11-02-2012, 16:35
Yer i put my whole sump in the parts cleaner at work to get rid of all oil, and scraped any old sealent off it