View Full Version : removing scuttle

djinuk
09-02-2012, 10:41
ok, im tempted to do as this
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=255&pictureid=2046 robbed off hammonds album..

I just feel it makes working on the c1j a lot easier, and personally i like what it does for the bay.

Now im thinking, you need to relocate the washer bottle and aei, and battery, is this correct? , any thoughts and guidance.

Matt Cole
09-02-2012, 10:52
Have a think about the consequence of removing it and why its there in the first place. Agreed if you have a larger engine, then access would be improved. Do you really want to remove it for a C1J?;)

philg
09-02-2012, 10:56
I was going to do this dj, i was told not to bother as its acts as a fire wall and also helps stop exhaust gas smells being sucked into to car via the matrix.

Brigsy
09-02-2012, 13:03
I can imagine the heater pulling in fumes as phil said, not good considering c1j's usually leak oil or reek of fuel.

djinuk
09-02-2012, 13:23
appreciate your points guys, and all valid concerns, for that reason it will stay in. :cool:

SCHWARTZ
09-02-2012, 16:12
I think this looks ace. just dont use the fan;):D

Goobie
09-02-2012, 16:43
You could easilerly leave part round the front of the fan and box the rest round the sides, best of both worlds. ;)

Phoenix Autosport
09-02-2012, 21:31
i would be more concerned about loosing structural strength as they arent the worlds strongest or most rigid car to start with, the one pictured has a welded in cage tied to the stut tops so strength isnt an issue there

gttjames
10-02-2012, 00:11
I dont think it will have a massive effect on strength/structure - there like tin cans anyway:laugh:

But yer like said leave abit infront of the blower / make something to surround it

TNT ANDY
10-02-2012, 06:43
It's an epic job with very little gain. When Ross 1st took out the panel he was concerned about the structure, so he welded in the tie bars to the Roll cage. If you you do this, I would say make sure you do that, there looks like there is significant structural properties within the original panel (being 3d and all that)

TNT Tricky Nicky
10-02-2012, 18:43
It definitely stops fumes from being sucked into the cabin, Ross has blanked off the heater fan since that photo was taken, removed the standard heater matrix/unit replacing it with a small heater matrix to demist and warm the car.

Suprised Andy didn't also tell you Ross almost lost his man parts when the grinding disc exploded while he stood in the engine bay removing the scuttle :laugh: