PDA

View Full Version : workmen damaging property, where do i stand?

philg
09-02-2012, 09:28
We had a firm out to service our boiler on Monday and we have noticed our kitchen worktop now has a crack just next to where he was kneeling on it. He was on the bench kneeling just above the washing machine and it has therefore cracked the work surface just next to where he was.

Just wondering where i stand legally. I have contacted the company and im just waiting for a responce.

The worktops are a solid sort of quartz stone, i have already spoken to the firm that supplied to see if a repair can be done.

Thanks phil

James5
09-02-2012, 11:14
We had a firm out to service our boiler on Monday and we have noticed our kitchen worktop now has a crack just next to where he was kneeling on it. He was on the bench kneeling just above the washing machine and it has therefore cracked the work surface just next to where he was.

Just wondering where i stand legally. I have contacted the company and im just waiting for a responce.

The worktops are a solid sort of quartz stone, i have already spoken to the firm that supplied to see if a repair can be done.

Thanks phil

They should have some kind of PL insurance cover if they don't cough up you will have to make a claim against there PL insurance policy, if this is the case you will have to make a formal written claim to them with allegations of there negligence:agree:

philg
09-02-2012, 11:30
They should have some kind of PL insurance cover if they don't cough up you will have to make a claim against there PL insurance policy, if this is the case you will have to make a formal written claim to them with allegations of there negligence:agree:

Thanks james.

I have spoken to the gaffer this morning, i think its going to be get sorted out ok :)

James5
09-02-2012, 11:40
Thanks james.

I have spoken to the gaffer this morning, i think its going to be get sorted out ok :)

No probs at least they have acknowledged there fault and going to sort:agree:

tiff_lee
09-02-2012, 21:37
quartz stone worktop, that sounds proper gucci!

Good to see they're sorting it

TNT ANDY
10-02-2012, 06:39
I would say that this is a very tricky area.

Did the workman have to access your boiler by being on your worktop? Could he have done it any other way?

was the worktop installed by a registered installer? As I'd be having words with them also as although wortops are not designed to be stepped on, my gut feeling is that if properly installed they should not crack under that kind of load?

Just a few thoughts that come to mind, I'm sure there's a few others, hope you get it sorted though, I hate this kind of problem.

philg
10-02-2012, 07:55
I would say that this is a very tricky area.

Did the workman have to access your boiler by being on your worktop? Could he have done it any other way?

was the worktop installed by a registered installer? As I'd be having words with them also as although wortops are not designed to be stepped on, my gut feeling is that if properly installed they should not crack under that kind of load?

Just a few thoughts that come to mind, I'm sure there's a few others, hope you get it sorted though, I hate this kind of problem.

Access to the boiler would have been easier up on the work top for sure, i suppose carrying some collapsible small ladders would have eradicated this problem. Where he was up on the work bench is where the washing machine is, obviously no support under there for the bench, and it cracked just next to there where the sink is, that is where its been cut out of the top, the weakest point really.

The tops have a laminate underside and have a solid finish on the tops probably about 10mm thick so not to hard to crack under a heavy load.

Im sure its all going to get sorted out :)