PDA

View Full Version : turbo noise

chezzer85
06-02-2012, 20:43
Can't stop beating myself up as i have just fitted a new engine loom into the five, and was having a few issues. Think i've resolved the electrical issues now. But like a mupet i fired her up without fitting the air filter or intercooler, now the turbo is making a awefull burping sound, (fitted filter and intercooler after about 5 mins on tick over) Anyone now what damage i have done?

LYNCHSTAR
06-02-2012, 20:49
Can't stop beating myself up as i have just fitted a new engine loom into the five, and was having a few issues. Think i've resolved the electrical issues now. But like a mupet i fired her up without fitting the air filter or intercooler, now the turbo is making a awefull burping sound, (fitted filter and intercooler after about 5 mins on tick over) Anyone now what damage i have done?

as long as you had oil feed into turbo i dont think turbo would be damaged.

chezzer85
06-02-2012, 21:00
yeh oil feed was in place, can't understand why it's making such a racket tho.
could this be a coolant issue as i removed and repaired the coolant hose to the turbo, lossing some fluid. i have blead the system, via blowing in the expansion tank, and opening blead valves. Don't readly want to start her up again without clue as to whats going on!

LYNCHSTAR
06-02-2012, 21:12
yeh Oil Feed Was In Place, Can't Understand Why It's Making Such A Racket Tho.
Could This Be A Coolant Issue As I Removed And Repaired The Coolant Hose To The Turbo, Lossing Some Fluid. I Have Blead The System, Via Blowing In The Expansion Tank, And Opening Blead Valves. Don't Readly Want To Start Her Up Again Without Clue As To Whats Going On!

I Would Put It All Back Together And Start Her Up Bud Thats Your Best Bet.

Tony Walker
06-02-2012, 21:42
dificult to say from your description of the noise. id take the filter off and try turn the turbo by hand make sure its free. and nothing dropped inside.

THE MASTER
07-02-2012, 10:43
the breather pipe from the rocker cover to air intake pre turbo can make a weard burrbbling sound.
if it is that see if the jet is in the pipe that goes to the manifold is in place

Brigsy
07-02-2012, 15:25
Yep will be split breather pipe on inlet manifold or restrictor missing. Running with no air filter or boost hoses wont cause any damage. Its just purely coincidence.

chezzer85
08-02-2012, 17:54
Checked all breather hoses, and seem ok. Not quite sure what im looking for in terms of restrictor. However it was running fine before and i havn't removed anything interms of a restrictor. Checked inside turbo and no issues there.

I had an electrical fire causes by perc fan wirring, this look out the tdc sensor, knock sensor, lots of wirring, ht lead, the breather hose to the telephone hose from T and the vacum hoses to carb top.:mad:

I have replaced the wirring loom with a band spanking new one and replaced everything else with sh bits.

When i started the five up tonight, the turbo seem to make more of a constant unheathy drowning noise, and before the rad fan kicked in a clip at the bottom of the expansion tack sarted to leak red hot coolant.
The temperature gauge was up to the 2 line, and there didn't seem much heat in the rad. She also wouldn't idle and filled my car pack with flumes of white smoke,:confused: