PDA

View Full Version : Slide Hammer

Steevo
04-02-2012, 20:54
I'm going to attempt to adjust the torsion bar on my 5 in the next few weeks, after some experiences lowering a friends Saxo a few years back i've decided to get something a bit more heavy duty than a socket and bolt. Excuse my inexperience, but will this do the job?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-10-PC-SLIDE-HAMMER-DENT-REPAIR-KIT-CASE-52321-/260841143925?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3cbb57fe75

I've never used one before so how exactly does it work?:ashamed:

JRP
04-02-2012, 20:58
I'm going to attempt to adjust the torsion bar on my 5 in the next few weeks, after some experiences lowering a friends Saxo a few years back i've decided to get something a bit more heavy duty than a socket and bolt. Excuse my inexperience, but will this do the job?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-10-PC-SLIDE-HAMMER-DENT-REPAIR-KIT-CASE-52321-/260841143925?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3cbb57fe75

I've never used one before so how exactly does it work?:ashamed:

dont waste your money, the old way works does it not? :)

J$£5GTT
04-02-2012, 21:04

lookin at that article that steve L done piece of wizz id say.
:)

Steevo
04-02-2012, 21:14

:laugh: well what I failed to mention was that the socket way on the Saxo resulted in a stripped thread, 4 broken bolts, and an impressive dent in the rear quarter............. so i thought a slide hammer would be a more proffesional approach

Steevo
04-02-2012, 21:15
lookin at that article that steve L done piece of wizz id say.
:)

I'll have a search for that :agree:

Eugein Offord
04-02-2012, 21:29
waste of dough .. the hammer... either make a puller using a long GTT , engine to gearbox bolt/washer/20something socket or... use an extender bar from a 1/2 inch socket to wack them out from each end..............:cry:

Spooky
04-02-2012, 21:31
Indeed.

What Mr Offord said.

If you're stripping threads on a GTT rear beam, it pays to push the torsion bar out and not pull it :)

Steevo
04-02-2012, 21:37
waste of dough .. the hammer... either make a puller using a long GTT , engine to gearbox bolt/washer/20something socket or... use an extender bar from a 1/2 inch socket to wack them out from each end..............:cry:

I think i'll give the slide hammer a miss then. Are there bolts holding the bars in as I don't see anything in the guide about it? On the Saxo there were offset washers and bolts holding the 2 bars in place,more to the point is it just one long torsion bar running across from end to end?:confused:

Steevo
04-02-2012, 21:39
Indeed.

What Mr Offord said.

If you're stripping threads on a GTT rear beam, it pays to push the torsion bar out and not pull it :)

Ahh, that makes sense that its one bar running through, I was thinking it had two bars like the Saxo, shoot me for comparing the two cars!:wasntme:

Spooky
04-02-2012, 21:46
The GTT has 2 seperate torsion bars across the beam.

They meet from either side of the car in the middle through a 'H' block you'll know what I mean when you get under the car and see it.

This allows you to push one bar through and push the opposite side out, saves ****ing about with dodgy threads etc

I've done it a few times now, pushing is definitely better than pulling :smokin:

Steevo
04-02-2012, 21:55
The GTT has 2 seperate torsion bars across the beam.

They meet from either side of the car in the middle through a 'H' block you'll know what I mean when you get under the car and see it.

This allows you to push one bar through and push the opposite side out, saves ****ing about with dodgy threads etc

I've done it a few times now, pushing is definitely better than pulling :smokin:

:agree::agree: thanks for that