PDA

View Full Version : Red line? and rev limiter?

Romil Davda
01-02-2012, 12:10
Howdy,
What does a standard R5 GT Turbo engine rev up to?

And also, does the R5 have a rev limiter?

If the answer to the second question is no, does that mean the engine will go bang if you don’t change gear? What happens in 5th at top end?

Hope I don’t sound too silly.

Bigfoot
01-02-2012, 12:39
Every engine will be different as depends on fueling, how old is the engine and weather conditions for fueling. You should be able to push to around 6.5-7k on a standard engine, but if your running at T2 turbo you have run out of steam well before then. So changing around 5.5k to 6k on standard T2 is about right if wanting to go anywhere quick.

These cars do not have a limited so it will keep on revving till something let goes. You wont reach top end in a standard gt turbo 5 unless its a very long steep hill and I think even aerodynamics will put a stop to getting that fast. Will be 150mph+ with the gearing at 6k or there abouts without looking at exact figures

Romil Davda
01-02-2012, 12:43
Every engine will be different as depends on fueling, how old is the engine and weather conditions for fueling. You should be able to push to around 6.5-7k on a standard engine, but if your running at T2 turbo you have run out of steam well before then. So changing around 5.5k to 6k on standard T2 is about right if wanting to go anywhere quick.

These cars do not have a limited so it will keep on revving till something let goes. You wont reach top end in a standard gt turbo 5 unless its a very long steep hill and I think even aerodynamics will put a stop to getting that fast. Will be 150mph+ with the gearing at 6k or there abouts without looking at exact figures

spot on, many thanks...
I am currently running a KTR 180, which I beleive is a T2 with upgraded bits. The highest I have reved her up to is about 5.5 but will see if I can opush 6/6.5 :).
I bought a second hand engine on ebay just before christmas, so just waiting to put that in.

markey b
01-02-2012, 12:56
standard GTT gearbox @ 7,000RPM was 138 on GPS, but on 16" wheels so dont know how that changes final drive

Bigfoot
01-02-2012, 13:29
Just found the excel sheet which calculate the speeds

6000 revs is 131mph, only a bit out :ashamed:

Romil Davda
01-02-2012, 13:43
standard GTT gearbox @ 7,000RPM was 138 on GPS, but on 16" wheels so dont know how that changes final drive

Memory bank kicks in.... Bigger wheels give you more top end, whereas smaller wheels give you better acceleration/pick up

Bigfoot
01-02-2012, 13:51
Memory bank kicks in.... Bigger wheels give you more top end, whereas smaller wheels give you better acceleration/pick up

Its not the wheels its what size tyres and if your running 195 35 16 on those wheels speed will be less than 195 55 13s. Only by a small amount though.

Romil Davda
06-02-2012, 14:50
Just found the excel sheet which calculate the speeds

6000 revs is 131mph, only a bit out :ashamed:

Hey Bigfoot, do you have a copy of said spreadsheet to send across?

romildavda@hotmail.co.uk

Would be good to use as my speedo is out!