PDA

View Full Version : Garage Doors - security

djinuk
30-01-2012, 10:43
Ok , to begin with, the only reason ive put this here is because i dont want it in general chat as its open to the public.

Basially i have a council spec garage a mile away or so from my house, at the moment its just a basic lock setup, however im looking to upgrade the security

This is what im looking at currently, however i was going to chuck a flap disc over it to take the paint off and let it rust up somewhat.. not a fan of big red shiny security locks on garage doors.. just screams theres somthing worthwhile been put in here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garage-Defender-Safety-Lock-/180802368090?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Doors_LE&hash=item2a18a9325a

Any thoughts and suggestions above this ?, I have a mate i was going to ask to fit one of the large metal posts in there, the type which are sunk into the concrete, i know he did a couple for himself.

Theres plenty of houses local but i just want to make it hard for them to get anythign out quietly, the car itself will be alarmed and also have a couple of diy mods to make it a non runner ;)

car.crash
30-01-2012, 10:49
Get 4 Enfield garage door locks. Discreet and will pin your door in all 4 corners.

stu21t
30-01-2012, 11:08
In my garage at home ive got a motorbike chain/padlock going through the towing eye, a ground anchor and the door.
You could have 1 from the car to the ground.
So even if they get in the garage the car wont move. Gives you another 5 mins protection. Lol
It all helps!

And if you can have a proximity sensor on the alarm that will help.
Alarm the car once the garage is shut and it arms into the garage space, as soon as the garage door is opened the dual prox will go off and they are LOUD in a garage.

Could also get a couple of lights in there on a sensor hooked up to an old battery.

djinuk
30-01-2012, 11:13
ground anchor.. very good call i think..

Im not to fussed about drilling into the conrete floor as its easy to repair, just a bit worried about drilling into the garge door incase they try bill me should i eventually give the garage up.

REGGY5GT
30-01-2012, 11:27
And if you can have a proximity sensor on the alarm that will help.
Alarm the car once the garage is shut and it arms into the garage space, as soon as the garage door is opened the dual prox will go off and they are LOUD in a garage.

:agree:

JRP
30-01-2012, 11:58
this will help if you have other access into the garage, loop behind door and chain door down.

http://www.elitesecuritysupplies.com/ground_motorcycle_anchors_built_in.html

Failing that as car crash said also imobilise car I.e clamp etc + alarm it up

Os8472
30-01-2012, 12:56
Just had my garage broke into last weekend, well I say broke in, they didn't get past cheap **** garage door lock, they did however get in my neighbours work and had over 2k worth of tools away.

I did have a garage defender but me being lazy wasn't actually locked at the time so they nicked it Cuuuunnnnts. I think the main reason they didn't get in was because my works can was backed up to the door so even if they got past the lock they wouldnt of got in.

I now have a new lock, a new defender which is actually on, a PIR controlled flood light and a car with a broken gearbox so they cant get it away :D

stu21t
30-01-2012, 13:05
this will help if you have other access into the garage, loop behind door and chain door down.

http://www.elitesecuritysupplies.com/ground_motorcycle_anchors_built_in.html

Failing that as car crash said also imobilise car I.e clamp etc + alarm it up

They are obviously best but as i found out when i fitted some for a mate who is a motorbike magazine journalist who was doing an article on them.
You need to be on the ground floor as they go deep into the ground. And are not so easy to hide when you leave.

I got a ground anchor from screwfix for £15 and it bolts into the floor with 2 rawl bolts.
It gets a great grip, i have forgotten to unbolt the car in the past and tried to drive out with it still chained up lol.
All that did was bend the towing eye and crack the bumper, the ground anchor just laughed at me lol.

I slso chain through the door but have another door to get into it from my house.

kentraider
30-01-2012, 16:02
yeah get urself a post an cement it in the ground with an eye still showing...then what i did was get a van vault door padlock the ones where the barrel is concealed an the barrel has to fall out before it opens...these are great as u cant smash them off or drill the barrel....hope that helps :smokin:

Tony Walker
30-01-2012, 19:36
why not weld two supports either side of the door for a square section beam to place in it with a lock either end, that way you can get it at a decent height and stop it being bent and or opened?

Bumblebee1990
30-01-2012, 20:15
Hey dj the idea of bolting it to the ground is good, I made one not to long ago for a chap who wanted to bolt his Elise to his garage floor. I used a 1800mm 100mm box section with 200mm diameter bar welded on each face at 200mm pitch slotted it into the big hole in the garage floor and filled in with concrete very extreme but no f*cker is guna have it away. Jus don't forget to unbolt it before you pull out the garage:laugh:

REGGY5GT
30-01-2012, 20:28
When i youst to work for the breakers near me some little cun7s broke into the unit using a scissor jack under the roller shutter doors, they had purposely gone for the RM250 and the Gas Gas, They were both bolted to the floor with a chain and eye, they couldn't get those bikes out for **** so instead they trashed the rest of the unit smashing and vandalising all of the decent non damaged motors that came in overnight including a e46 m3 and a nismo nissan 350z, You could just tell that it was little spotty cun7s and imo if they had got what they wanted (the bikes) then they wouldnt have been wound up enough to cause 20'ks worth of damage.

But on the other hand, usually if the bas7ards want it bad enough they'll get it no matter how much security there is, security just helps with delaying their getaway.