PDA

View Full Version : About the new website..

Scoff
08-09-2008, 21:47
Some info about the new site for those that are interested :)

The site is written from scratch in PHP. It shares no common components with the old site, it has the advantage of being written in a modern language meaning things work that bit faster and are generally more modern and expandable.

The forum is a rarther heavilly hacked version of vBulletin, meaning we've now got one of the most powerfull and common BB softwares about - hacked to include alot of the features and ideas from the old site. Again, written in PHP which means that everything is expandable and as time goes on features can be introduced and existing features improved upon.

The live chat window (similar to the old "chat" window of RTOC-past) was written from scratch too, that was one of the best parts of the old forum for me. You can deal with private messages through that window too.

Backup's are done regularly, every day at the moment, and will continue to be pretty regular in the future.

Currently there is no Wizard, Contacts or files section. I am having to re-write all 3. I'm part way through a file manager, it'll work very similar to the old one.

The loss of the file manager isn't such a problem since this forum will let you upload pictures and other files using the "attachments" button that you see when you post a message. Try it out - when uploading a picture it creates a thumbnail image in the thread which when clicked on opens up the full size (1024x maximum) image.

Wizard will be the next section on my mind, it will hopefully include some new features :)
Contacts will follow that - for now I'm considering making a section in the forum for it, which can then be transfered into the new pages when they're ready.

Thats about it. If you come across things on the site that annoy you, things that could be improved, features that you'd like to see included then post up here. Obviously depending on how common the request and how much of a task it is to implement will dictate if they get done or not :)

Chris