PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump priming ??

mike r5 gtt
21-01-2012, 18:17
Think i might b having a blonde moment but here goes...

am i right in thinking that my fuel pump should b working/priming when i turn the ignition on??

finally got afew hours to start playing with my gtt today after months and months of it being neglected :cry:

but it wont start, iv got good comp and spark and when i crank the fuel pump runs and iv got fuel to the carb but iv not got any fuel coming out of the jet so assumed the jet must b blocked or something but iv noticed the fuel pump only runs when im cranking

should the pump not run for a bit when the ignition is on??

Brigsy
21-01-2012, 19:51
The fuel pump doesnt prime on the ign, it only works when cranking as the tdc sends the signal to the fuel pump relay. If no fuel is going into the engine and pump is working the carb or fpr must be at fault.

chris
21-01-2012, 20:02
i have took the drain plug out of my carb and turned ignition on and its pumping fuel threw i can here fuel pump working

Brigsy
21-01-2012, 20:14
Take the carb top off and see if fuel is going into the inlet when the throttle is pumped. Any pipes off inlet manifold?? Air leaks dont help starting probs...dizzy cap ok??

Markey Mark (BD)
22-01-2012, 10:40
Check to see if your accelerator pump jet lever isn't siezed, if it is then it'll be a right pain to start

bigdur
22-01-2012, 20:49
Check to see if your accelerator pump jet lever isn't siezed, if it is then it'll be a right pain to start
Happened to me last week at MOT time. WD40 is your friend here!

THE MASTER
23-01-2012, 10:00
what sort of work was done on the car before it was layed up ????

as in has the engine been apart etc

mike r5 gtt
24-01-2012, 20:42

mark u are a fricking genius :agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

just got a spare 5 mins so went and attacked the carb with some wd40 and im pleased to announce that for the first time in about 2+ years my car burst into life :D:D:D

feel like a kid at xmas
(or at least i did for about three mins until my neighbour opened his door and told me to shut the noisey shed up):dearme:

roll on the weekend when i can start showing the poor old thing some more love

Tony Walker
24-01-2012, 21:22
:D another 5 alive :agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
24-01-2012, 21:25
mark u are a fricking genius :agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

just got a spare 5 mins so went and attacked the carb with some wd40 and im pleased to announce that for the first time in about 2+ years my car burst into life :D:D:D

feel like a kid at xmas
(or at least i did for about three mins until my neighbour opened his door and told me to shut the noisey shed up):dearme:

roll on the weekend when i can start showing the poor old thing some more love

;) No worries mate.

Good to see you got it going, had to be something simple it normally is. Now get it on the road :agree: