PDA

View Full Version : fiddly bits

raj
22-11-2008, 13:21
ok ive just been going over the engine to recheck everything before i fire it up and have noticed -

the single bolt that holds the choke bracket [the plate that the choke cable fits to] in place keeps on coming loose whenever i apply and reset the choke! all the the washers are in place inc the spring type washer.
i obviously cant tighten it up as it wont move if i do that. so any ideas on what i should do..?

also for the life of me i cant get the choke cable retaining clip back on:confused:

Brigsy
22-11-2008, 13:28
Try a bit of threadlock on the bolt? The clip either clips in the bottom or the top first, cant remember which.

raj
22-11-2008, 13:33
Try a bit of threadlock on the bolt? The clip either clips in the bottom or the top first, cant remember which.

doh:homer: i never thought of thread lock.

i cant see the clip being clipped into the bottom first, ive even tried mole grips on the top the push it over the bracket edge but its not giving.

also regarding the positive attery clamp, are they not available like the std 5 fitment now? i can only seem to find the ones where the wires have to be fixed within the clamp rather than bolting them to the side. i know they will still work but would like the std type ones if possible

Brigsy
22-11-2008, 13:36
Iirc, clip the bottom part in the slot, make sure the cable is in the 'c' bit & push it home, its tight but its meant to hold the cable in place. the clip is only thin metal so pretty flexible so give it some, ive always got them on by hand.

raj
22-11-2008, 15:12
Iirc, clip the bottom part in the slot, make sure the cable is in the 'c' bit & push it home, its tight but its meant to hold the cable in place. the clip is only thin metal so pretty flexible so give it some, ive always got them on by hand.

ahh yes, both probs are sorted now. i was positioning the choke cable in the wrong place within the clip:rolleyes:.

raj
22-11-2008, 17:47
oookayyy next prob.......

as mentioned eveything under the bonnet has been rebuilt and before i stripped the engine the car had been stood unstarted for 5yrs.

ok so ive not even connected the battery yet.

the problem is with the carb[rebuilt] , when i tried to check if i was getting a squirt of fuel down the carb i found that nothing is coming out when im pumping the arm???

why is no fuel getting to the carb? im sure on all my other 5s i would get a squirt of fuel with the car off!

any suggestions? would turning the ignition on make fuel get to the carb?:confused:

Sparkie
22-11-2008, 18:14
try filling the carb with fuel first...

raj
22-11-2008, 18:25
try filling the carb with fuel first...

why is the obvious never aparant to me brickwall

thanks.