PDA

View Full Version : Engine treatment.. anyone tried this..?

Slim
18-01-2012, 13:57
Has anyone tried stuff like this for worn pistons...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_73 8855_langId_-1_categoryId_255221 (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_73 8855_langId_-1_categoryId_255221)

or

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 5469_langId_-1_categoryId_255221 (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 5469_langId_-1_categoryId_255221)

any comment would be appreciated on the effectiveness on products like these.

Thanks

Slim

Ian S
18-01-2012, 15:15
Anything with the Wynns brand I avoid.

If you're engine is nearly dead and you want to get through an MOT maybe it's worth a shot. But perhaps you should expect a rebuild soon after.

"Seals the gaps between worn engine components"

That must include gaps that are SUPPOSED to be there.

I've heard reports that the oil filter can block just after adding this kind of thing so add it just before your plan to change the oil filter.

I just tried one of these kind of products in the Fiat. I did a compression test before and at a few hundred miles. Had actually slightly LESS compression, maybe it cleaned some crud off. I did perceive an easier engine, revving better and smoother. It was very old Castrol Magnatec oil in there and was overdue for a change.

A few hundred miles before the oil treatment, I had added maybe 500ml of Mobil1 as a top up and that appeared to clean off some crud as the oil went a bit blacker.

I got the treatment as a sample from the Fiat tuner I met. He / they wanted me to try it, get a positive result, and offer it for sale here in the RTOC. They've not produced the marketing blurb yet but apparently is well tested good stuff made by reliable company and backed by full insurance should it cause an engine failure, which, he said, it never had. IIRC, it doesn't contain PTFE, etc.

Slim
18-01-2012, 16:15
Thanks for your input :)

But i put it in before I read what you wrote :laugh:

My car has slight blue smoke on boost,, and very slight smoke on idle. We''ll see if it helps,, maybe il change the oil filter soon too,, i'll keep an eye on things. :)

Brigsy
18-01-2012, 17:01
Waste of money mate. If something is worn it wont fix the problem.

Fordy
18-01-2012, 17:37
stop smoke does works but i'd only use it to get home without blinding the person behind me :laugh:

Slim
19-01-2012, 20:07
well... js to give some feedback.... so far,, 2 days after putting stop smoke in,,, i dont have slight puffs of smoke anymore,,, and my idle oil pressure has been raised from 13psi to 18ish psi. So far so good,, but dont expect it to last too long :cartman:

Phoenix Autosport
19-01-2012, 23:25
I think additives that claim to fix a problem are going to be short lived at best however I have found friction reducers such as moly slip to be good at preserving an engine, i have heard that slick 50 isn't bad either but I stick to molly slip as I have used it in a ford x-flow for over 100,000 miles and engine is still tight and compression is virtualy the same as new

Ian S
19-01-2012, 23:37
Apparently Slick 50 contains PTFE that goes straight to the oil filter and stays there.

Phoenix Autosport
20-01-2012, 20:35
Apparently Slick 50 contains PTFE that goes straight to the oil filter and stays there.
i wondered about that but then i know several people who swear by it, i suppose its only going to be a problem if the particles of ptfe are larger than the holes in the filter element, however i would be suprised if that was the case as its a pretty big design fault for a product that has been around for 30 odd years

Ian S
20-01-2012, 21:18
Maybe filters have got finer over that time?

Tony Walker
20-01-2012, 22:13
Standards of oil have also improved immensely.

Phoenix Autosport
21-01-2012, 14:54
both of those will be true, i dont think any of the additives are a substitute for regular oil changes with quality oil and a decent filter, this has always been something that concerned me about the tiny filter on the 5 turbo as normaly filters are made larger in order to allow the same flow through a finer filter mesh, to get the flow through the small area of the tiny filter on a 5 turbo the mesh cant be very fine, when i change over to an alloy rad with separate oil cooler i think im going to remote mount the filter in order to allow fittment of something a bit larger