PDA

View Full Version : valve stem seals

Mudslinger
17-01-2012, 23:18
decided to get the engine stripped down to give it a check over make sure all is ok
especially while its out the car , all is looking good but i did find the stem seals in the sump 2off .

i know its quite common for this to happen but what causes it ? is the only resolve to run without ?

Sparkie
18-01-2012, 22:53
is it the plastic bits or the metal bits you found in the sump? you gotta find all the bits of metal spring - i had several bits on the sh1t shelf in the block next to the cam.

mine melted on the exhaust valves guides and came off cos of low octane fuel, 15psi for extended periods of time on the motorway.

Mudslinger
18-01-2012, 23:46
i think its something to do with the dbl valve springs and running 28 psi :scared:

only 2 were off and all the bits were in the sump , the engine has all been pulled apart to give it a check over no damage has been done .

was thinking about trying them Vaux redtop stem seals , i know 1 thing for sure i wont be using standard 1's again .

Brigsy
18-01-2012, 23:54
Run without mate, it will be fine if the valve guides are in good nick.

Mudslinger
19-01-2012, 00:00
the stem seals are there for a reason , i dont want an oil burner :)

tbh though id probably just run without but my m8 thats building the engine is defo not keen to run without them .

Brigsy
19-01-2012, 00:26
I havent ran any for years on the van with no problems. You will only get a small puff of smoke on startup. My head is an early ph1 and didnt have any fitted from the factory.