PDA

View Full Version : The Block of DOOOOOOM

scratcher
15-01-2012, 14:19
Can anyone tell me if the starter motor and alternator wiring goes through the conveniently placed, water tight connector that we all know and love?

I'm having issues with the starter motor today, and an alternator that stopped charging last weekend. It made me wonder if it could all be down to dodgy connections in there?

J$£5GTT
15-01-2012, 14:21
your alternator wiring will do.
:)

car.crash
15-01-2012, 14:37
I think the white wire from the starter does also. Iirc I cut mine out of the death plug and joined Seperatly.

scratcher
15-01-2012, 15:11
Cheers lads :) I'll go and pull it apart and see how it's looking. I'll try joining it through too.
I think I'll make a new loom up as well soon. The old one has seen better days!

car.crash
15-01-2012, 15:17
For what they cost best to get a new one.

Scoff
15-01-2012, 15:22
the alternator charge circuit goes through that connector, so when it corrodes up, the alt stops charging. As mentioned, thick white wire is the starter exciter. When that corrodes up the starter can just click or not turn at all.

scratcher
15-01-2012, 16:31
That's exactly what I'm getting! I ran out of time to try joining it through to see if it'll turn over.

Marc, do you know roughly how much the loom is? I might have one in the shed somewhere actually :scratch:

car.crash
15-01-2012, 16:35
135 plus vat on cgb but im sure mike will sort you out.

gttjames
15-01-2012, 17:39
Like said check the wirring. Im repairing mine aswell at the moment. Found the wire from the starter to alternator cut and joined in the middle with a household speaker wire connector block, all internally corroded (knicked a nice bit of wire from work and replaced this)

Also the starter trigger/exciter wire is all burnt and has about 3 joins in it, and wire been rubbing so is very thin in that place - hopefully this is my 'clickl click click' issue, will be replacing this with a wire right upto the wing, so hopefully this will cure it with just 1 join at the wing. If not il replace the whole wire whever it leads to inside the car

scratcher
16-01-2012, 18:42
I cut the plug out today and joined it all through. No success :(

Oh well, I'll just have to re-feed everything. And probably change the starter again.

V Man
16-01-2012, 19:04
I cut the plug out today and joined it all through. No success :(

Oh well, I'll just have to re-feed everything. And probably change the starter again.

What's the issue with the starter or is it flat battery syndrome all the time hence possibly alternator?

scratcher
16-01-2012, 23:26
Na, the battery is fully charged, showing 12.47 volts.
There's power at the starter, just not to the exciter.

The battery only went flat once last weekend, so I swapped the alternator over yesterday but then it wouldn't turn over. I'm suspecting something deeper in the wiring now. There's a few jobs to do so I'll just start the whole lot and do it then :)