PDA

View Full Version : exhaust manifold gasket

Mudslinger
11-01-2012, 18:27
when porting the exhaust ports , i can only go to the size of the gasket is there any alternative gasket out there with bigger rings ? what do others use ? im thinking i might have to get 1 made ?

Sparkie
11-01-2012, 19:30
use a finger grinder on th edges of the gasket ports....

Alastair
11-01-2012, 20:31
when porting the exhaust ports , i can only go to the size of the gasket is there any alternative gasket out there with bigger rings ? what do others use ? im thinking i might have to get 1 made ?

I use a rotary whizzer with a tungsten carbide bit and open out the gasket beyond the folded over metal rings, and i dont get leaks :agree:

The gasket will separate into 2 when you do this but it doesn't seem to hurt it.:smokin:

Mudslinger
12-01-2012, 20:04
Cheers guys ill have a look , was hoping there might have been an alternative gasketthat could be used with bigger exhaust ports/rings , Might look into getting a gasket made dont think i could be arsed having to strip the manifold off once the engine is back in the car if its blowing after removing/filing the rings on the gasket down

newbstar*
13-01-2012, 10:19
I did this on my efi 5 mud, after seeing on another efi c1j when stripped for bits. Both cars run high boost without a problem. Just enlarge the gasket.;)

Scoff
13-01-2012, 17:24
For what it's worth I don't think you'd want to go bigger than the gasket in the first place. :)

newbstar*
13-01-2012, 18:43
For what it's worth I don't think you'd want to go bigger than the gasket in the first place. :)

I did mine more for injector fuel angle, Are you saying muds not going to gain much From going bigger?

Mudslinger
13-01-2012, 19:52
dont think im going to take any more off its prob at it limits maybe a shade more on the exhaust ports,

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=145&pictureid=4307

David H
13-01-2012, 21:31
Are you grinding an assembled engine/head?

Why are you increasing the port size?

Mudslinger
13-01-2012, 22:37
Are you grinding an assembled engine/head?

Why are you increasing the port size?

LOL even im no that daft , and the reason for porting is for better flow :)

the picture is of the engine when it was being assembled cpl year ago .

Scoff
14-01-2012, 00:10
I did mine more for injector fuel angle, Are you saying muds not going to gain much From going bigger?

I was replying to the talk about exhaust ports. No harm in opening up the top of the inlets to get a better line between injector and valve seat :)