PDA

View Full Version : Wot do you guys do?

Andyturbo!
09-01-2012, 11:52
To your cars if there gona be sat for a while, like over winter?

matty j
09-01-2012, 11:54
will it be in the garage?

djinuk
09-01-2012, 12:05
try to avoid leaving it stood on grass,

ensure antifreeze is in the coolant

keep tyres pumped up

dont put a cover on it.

give it a good polish/wax, including wheels

stick a tray of salt in the back window to soak up any moisture

start it every couple of weeks

dont put handbrake on

other than that i find these things dont mind standing aroudn to much.

also maybe worth giving the battery a top up with a charger every month or so.

Andyturbo!
09-01-2012, 12:28
It is at the back of my drive, think the batt needs a charge as wouldn't start earlier, got a couple of turns then dead, will get the charger on it later, good idea with the salt cheers

5alldaway
09-01-2012, 13:32
how about one of the solar trickle chargers off ebay? they keep the battery topped up at all times, so good infact i bought 2 :) £13 each

car.crash
09-01-2012, 13:38
ian s done a test on them and apparantly they are gash.

5alldaway
09-01-2012, 13:45
ian s done a test on them and apparantly they are gash.

well they kept my batteries topped up and did the job just fine :)

car.crash
09-01-2012, 13:46
well they kept my batteries topped up and did the job just fine :)

what makes you think they would have gone flat without them?

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=465&highlight=solar+charger

5alldaway
09-01-2012, 13:50
i left my integra type r unused for months and the battery would go flat, i bought one of chargers and it stopped it going flat, it was also kept behind the front windscreen

same applies to my 205 gti6

Robbo
09-01-2012, 17:39
:agree:
ian s done a test on them and apparantly they are gash.:agree:
thats what i heard

markey b
09-01-2012, 18:37
I used a solar charger and it just drained the battery. I literally drive mine into the garage, turn battery cutoff and leave windows open a lill and handbrake off

Alastair
09-01-2012, 19:16
Buy a Ctec trickle charge/conditioner, 29 quid on ebay with all the connections for a quick plug in, then leave it on charge in the garage. Job done.

car.crash
09-01-2012, 19:20
i use my car rarely, its been out twice since national day and i dont disconnect the battery or leave it on a trickle and it has enough juice for me to sit there cranking it for 5 mins trying to start it each time. the batterys wont just die off unless they are knackerd or being drained for some reason.

Thundercat
09-01-2012, 19:53
Hi Andy, if memory serves me right that battery keeps going flat when stood. Probably best get a new one fitted. I tend to disconnect battery when stood in garage as alarms on mine drain battery down if stood more than 3 weeks. I have had batteries stood for 6 months disconnected and started first time when reconnected.

Andyturbo!
09-01-2012, 20:04
Hi Andy, if memory serves me right that battery keeps going flat when stood. Probably best get a new one fitted. I tend to disconnect battery when stood in garage as alarms on mine drain battery down if stood more than 3 weeks. I have had batteries stood for 6 months disconnected and started first time when reconnected.

Cheers for the info John :agree: looking at it today was thinking to myself wonder how old it is, will prob get a new one on just for good measure

Ricardo
09-01-2012, 20:55
As my Clio is a bare shell with no carpet or headlining it induces moisture and condensation. I made the mistake of leaving the car unattended for 3 weeks, early signs of spores were there so i scrubbed them off, cracked the windows open and had a fan heater inside. I had to literally chamois the roof interior it was that bad.

Now once a week i run the fan heater for a couple of hours with the window cracked open with temps around the 22 degrees, so far so good. We havent had too cold a spell here yet and it's been mild

gttjames
09-01-2012, 21:24
mostly what said, i just disconnect the battery, what i will add is when there left for a while with no movement the discs go abit rusty, sometimes just surface rust and soon comes off, but if its a long time to be stood either make sure it gets a run with some braking once a month, or just spray grease the discs, obviously use brake cleaner on them before driving lol