PDA

View Full Version : rear beam

robw
21-11-2008, 14:38
i am wanting to refurb my rear beam,but my local renault only sell the trailing arms with bushes for about £240 each side. is this the only choice i have availible now? anyone able to get new bushes without trailing arms?
looking around,peugeot 205 owners still have quite alot of options to refurb/stiffen up there beams,so why not for the 5?

J$£5GTT
21-11-2008, 17:32
im sure you can,maybe try an contact different suppliers,if my
memory serves me correct a mr duncan grier got hold of some
a while back for his rear beam on his vag 5(now owned by minty)
try sending duncs a pm mate
:)

dangerous dave
21-11-2008, 19:34
when we get big problems/bills we scrap them:crap:

Dunc did his i think, perhaps he might find his way in here later:)

Duncan Grier
21-11-2008, 20:05
Got your PM and replied ;)

I managed to get the bushes seperate but still not that cheap! I then got the rear beam stripped, shot blasted, acid dipped and then powder coated in black. The trailing arms got the same treatment before pressing the bushes in. The only job left is to remove the inner part of the old busher back out of the beam and press the new one in.

Never fully finished as the 5 got sold and as most of you know I don't do things by half hence all the work on the rear beam. I was hoping to see a big improvement with this mod, certainly the old one would have done many many miles some very hard :D

It's for sale if someone wants it?

Can't remember the part number but can dig it out I guess :D think it may have been Renault 9 Paul B will confirm when he has 5 :D

Schakal
21-11-2008, 21:19
i have refurbed my beam on the 9 recently ,bought the bushes
seperate from the trailing arms for about 25/30+ vat each .

i am still working on a rear beam refurb article with the pics i have
taken during the progress . will post it up as soon as its finished .

also in talks with my supplier in order to get a batch of these :agree:
YESSS WE CAN !!! :cool: :agree:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa183/partsrenault/S8003647.jpg

Brigsy
22-11-2008, 12:49
Are the bushes worn to the point they need replacing? Reason i ask is that my van has done 120k & my gtt has done 150k, no play in either. Seems like a lot of expense/aggro/work unless there shot!

I was lucky & got a pair of new gen renault arms/bushes off ebay for £35, but i doubt ill need to fit them soon.

From experience it is a different story with the 9/11 turbos though, over 100k & the bushes fall to bits. My torsion bars snapped aswell, scary experience.

Also the Renault rear axles are pretty robust compared to the citroen/pug setup imo, they fall to bits on a regular basis from what ive seen.

robw
22-11-2008, 13:17
Are the bushes worn to the point they need replacing?

its one of the only bits left on my car that has been untouched,so i would like to know that it is as good as new.yeah its a lot of expense/aggro/work but it will be nice to have it like it was fresh the factory:)

Brigsy
22-11-2008, 13:23
If it ain't broke don't fix it;)