PDA

View Full Version : bottom end stuck

robx1r
08-01-2012, 14:26
What way are the con rod bearings ment to be and same with the main ones?

Mart
08-01-2012, 14:34
Notch on the bearing(s)/carrier(s) towards the manifolds.

You also need to fit each bearing carrier to its original rod. Period.

Tony Walker
08-01-2012, 15:21
and the cap has to be the correct way round with the correct rod too, there snapped so usually have a pattern that fits perfectly together.

robx1r
08-01-2012, 16:26
sorry i posted that on my phone, so both notchs to the back not to the front?

i took everything off and marked it all and stored it as it came out!

the only new item in the block is 1 liner.

i think i have it sorted i loosed no2 con rod and the whole lot started to move so i just tightend it again and all good!

robx1r
08-01-2012, 17:19

i think i have it sorted i loosend no2 con rod and the whole lot started to move so i just tightend it again and all good!

you know when you say its fine its bound to not to be!

I torqued the rods down to 45nm and its not moving, i'm starting a new job after 9 months of being out of it and i need to get the car going, please help me out!

J$£5GTT
08-01-2012, 17:36

i think i have it sorted i loosed no2 con rod and the whole lot started to move so i just tightend it again and all good!

your asking if both notches to the back not to the front yet your saying you marked everything as it came out?..:scratch:

have all the liners been hones with new rings?,that make it pretty resistant,cant you turn it a couple resolutions at all?

robx1r
08-01-2012, 18:55
your asking if both notches to the back not to the front yet your saying you marked everything as it came out?..:scratch:

have all the liners been hones with new rings?,that make it pretty resistant,cant you turn it a couple resolutions at all?

yes i am asking, this is my first time doing a bottom end,

i've been meticulous in disassembling of it just doubting myself thats all and i'd rather ask to be sure than bull through it and mess it up,

Tony Walker
08-01-2012, 19:11
if u loosened the one rod then u know that is at fault, take it off take a picture and show us what your doing.

robx1r
08-01-2012, 19:34
sorry i had them all loose and the cap of no2 and it moved tightly but it moved.

so i dosconnected all of the pistong and tigheted the main caps and no movement.

i have another block i tried the crank alone in it and fully torqued down bearing in the same places and it spins freely.

i'm probably making a balls of explaining it and making myself look like a ****

Tony Walker
08-01-2012, 19:42
so with all pistons/rods disconnected and the crank tightened its still tight? in which case loosen one main bearing cap at a time then turn it, if it stays tight, then tighten it and move to the next cap untill u find the tight bearing, then take a look why.

robx1r
08-01-2012, 20:05
i was going to use a fresher block as mine had been welded at some point so i might just re use my original block.

is there a difference between a block from 88 and 91?

V Man
08-01-2012, 20:32
If you have a fresh block lying around then why not use that one rather than the welded one? The blocks will be the same.
Careful with the liner seals if you swap the liners to new block!