PDA

View Full Version : trackdays and catchtanks

philg
04-01-2012, 10:34
Im going to be looking at my car over the next few weeks in preparation for next year.

While i was on track last year, i was filling my catch tank with throthy looking oil while out on track. I did fill the oil close to the max level before setting out and the car may have been better suited to just above the min mark for track.

Im planning on running my catch tank into my turbo oil return instead of vent. Im currently running from my oil breather out into a catch tank with the oulet just to vent, easy option would be just to plumb my out into turbo oil return which gos into the sump.

Im guessing my catch tank will still fill up, so im i not just better running a pipe from my oil breather straight into the turbo oil return pipe and doing away with the catch tank.

Opinions guys please :)

scratcher
04-01-2012, 10:48
Do they run a sump return on the breather system like the C1J?
I can only see running it to the oil return causing you problems. Like if it dumped all the oil to the catch tank and not to the sump.

How bad was the frothy stuff in the tank? Was it ready to flow out or would it settle to a lower level?

philg
04-01-2012, 11:47
No sump return on the breather system.

It looked like a latte, is the best way to describe it. I guess i would settle.
It did no fill as much after the first run out but i put that to my max oil level at the start of the day, but i could only get 5 laps out before my tank would fill.

The catch tank i bought has two pipes on the top and a plug but no breather.

James5
04-01-2012, 11:57
No sump return on the breather system.

It looked like a latte, is the best way to describe it. I guess i would settle.
It did no fill as much after the first run out but i put that to my max oil level at the start of the day, but i could only get 5 laps out before my tank would fill.

The catch tank i bought has two pipes on the top and a plug but no breather.

Phil, if your filling your catch tank with oil that quick think you need to look into engine breathing problem and diagnose the cause as it shouldn't be doing that.

I would leave it plumbed as you have but investigate as sounds like it's heavy breathing. Condensation in the tank is pretty normal and maybe a tiny bit of oil any more and you have a problem, you done any dry and wet comp test's yet?

Robbo
04-01-2012, 12:41
filled my b18ft clio up to the maximum mark on my last trackday at donnington and it spat out around 1/4 of a litre at first then settled down to a a few drops, didnt bother refilling and all was fine

philg
04-01-2012, 12:51
Phil, if your filling your catch tank with oil that quick think you need to look into engine breathing problem and diagnose the cause as it shouldn't be doing that.

I would leave it plumbed as you have but investigate as sounds like it's heavy breathing. Condensation in the tank is pretty normal and maybe a tiny bit of oil any more and you have a problem, you done any dry and wet comp test's yet?

I have been told that when the boost is upped on the b18 they do tent to try and spit oil from the front breather, it was dangerous dave told me this, do you know if gary has had any problems?

You have had a good look round garys any ideas on modification i could make.

What is a dry and wet compression test?

philg
04-01-2012, 12:53
filled my b18ft clio up to the maximum mark on my last trackday at donnington and it spat out around 1/4 of a litre at first then settled down to a a few drops, didnt bother refilling and all was fine

Maybe its best to try and find a good reliable safe level to run on track.

How do you catch yours, is it just the same?

Nick k
04-01-2012, 13:25
Mine did the same at mallory last year! but i suspect i have ring problems on mine :( Be nice for somebody to come up with a bomb proof breather system for the B18ft.

James5
04-01-2012, 13:27
I have been told that when the boost is upped on the b18 they do tent to try and spit oil from the front breather, it was dangerous dave told me this, do you know if gary has had any problems?

You have had a good look round garys any ideas on modification i could make.

What is a dry and wet compression test?

What boost you running now then Phil? are you still on the ickle T2?

Gary he's a lost cause:laugh: last I heard his engine was a red arrow but turned out to be due to incorrect dipstick think it's all fine now, he just as his suspension / lack of issue's

Dry comp test is putting a comp reader into the spark plug hole with no fuel going in and main ht lead of so it cranks over and the gauge goes up, a wet test is put a little oil in the low dry test comp bores and see if the comp tester results improve

Brigsy
04-01-2012, 13:28
Do a comp test to check the rings if its breathing heavy phil, altering the breather is masking the problem.

Also what oil are you running?? i used some cheapo 10/40 semi in my van and got black flagged at mallory as it was breathing really heavy when after a few laps at a low state of tune.

I changed the oil for millers fully synth 10/60 and there is never any oil in the catch tank, even with more boost/more revs and more abuse :)

SCHWARTZ
04-01-2012, 13:56
Phill my dipstick was 2" to short:ashamed: so there was way too much oil. It was filling bottles up in seconds with a thick white like cream, guessing the crank had smashed the oil so much and ruined it. when i dropped the oil it was all the same thick white ****e. sorted out the dipstick and filled it half way between the marks and has been fine no more oil coming out the breather at all.
I would suggest you change your oil and get it half way between the marks and see how it goes, I defo wouldnt "t" into the oil return as you prob dont want that oil going back round the engine.
If it still does it there is a problem somewhere so do a comp test to see what the rings are like.

James5
04-01-2012, 14:16
Don't forget when you do comp test do it with throttle open, remove main king lead and also you don't want fuel going into the engien so remove the fuel pump relay so it doesn't activate.

James5
04-01-2012, 14:34
Phill my dipstick is 2" :ashamed:.

Gary aka Mr Wallaby:laugh:

philg
04-01-2012, 15:46
James just googled the compression test, i will give it a go defiantly worth checking. Im not saying it is not but my engine was all rebuilt before fitting, just checked the work that was carried out, cylinder bores honed, ring set, polished crankshaft, new big end bearings, new washers, gaskets, refaced head, supplied and fitted exhaust guide liners, reface valves seats, re shim head.

Jon, oil i have been using is 10/40 so it could be that.

Anyway to get these engines to breath a bit better then?

philg
04-01-2012, 15:48
Phill my dipstick was 2" to short:ashamed: so there was way too much oil. It was filling bottles up in seconds with a thick white like cream, guessing the crank had smashed the oil so much and ruined it. when i dropped the oil it was all the same thick white ****e. sorted out the dipstick and filled it half way between the marks and has been fine no more oil coming out the breather at all.
I would suggest you change your oil and get it half way between the marks and see how it goes, I defo wouldnt "t" into the oil return as you prob dont want that oil going back round the engine.
If it still does it there is a problem somewhere so do a comp test to see what the rings are like.

How did you manage to have the wrong dipstick gary?

philg
04-01-2012, 15:51
What boost you running now then Phil? are you still on the ickle T2?

Gary he's a lost cause:laugh: last I heard his engine was a red arrow but turned out to be due to incorrect dipstick think it's all fine now, he just as his suspension / lack of issue's

Dry comp test is putting a comp reader into the spark plug hole with no fuel going in and main ht lead of so it cranks over and the gauge goes up, a wet test is put a little oil in the low dry test comp bores and see if the comp tester results improve

Cheeky fecker yeah still the t2 running about 15-16psi, going to get a stronger actuator to this winter so my aem boost controllers not bleeding at 90% duty cycle, going to get a garret -34 or maybe a forge one :)

Robbo
04-01-2012, 16:54
Maybe its best to try and find a good reliable safe level to run on track.

How do you catch yours, is it just the same?

bit of old pipe and a pop bottle:smokin:

SCHWARTZ
04-01-2012, 17:18
Gary aka Mr Wallaby:laugh:

I'm sure there has been some cheeky editing done there.:laugh:

SCHWARTZ
04-01-2012, 17:19
Got sent a gtx one which is identical but 2 inches shorter.

SCHWARTZ
04-01-2012, 17:20
Phill throw that t2 away and put a t28 on it.:D

philg
04-01-2012, 18:39
Phill throw that t2 away and put a t28 on it.:D

Na I like the fast spool of the t2, it's quick to 100 mph great for me on the track, i may go for a gt28 next year, I still have my t25 in the garage might put that on. If you make nd this year gary you may change my mind :)

SCHWARTZ
04-01-2012, 18:57
I would like to make nd this year but the car has a habit of throwing a spanner in the works:D if I do you're first in the death seat:wasntme: