PDA

View Full Version : repairing the renault wiring loom, connectors/clips?

gttjames
03-01-2012, 20:20
While my engine is out iv took all the plastic sleeving (whats left of it) off it to see where some problems are, few messy areas found from previous repairs so need some info of following bits to make a good repair

Alternator should have a clip in plastic plug but its just 2 seperate female connectors - i have a oe block connector but the contacts in it are rotten so iv pulled these out and there just female connectors - problem im having is all the female connectors i have dont fit the oe plug

Again same issue with the radiator temp switch, i have a connector to wire in but need the right sort of female connectors to go in it

Also the plastic sleeving over the wirring loow which iv removed is all brittle from being hot so would ideally like to replace all this, best place for this?

cheers

dangerous dave
03-01-2012, 20:23
i know a few people have gone to maplins etc and picked up connectors and replaced old tatty ones with newer better quality items. if you look hard enough im sure you can hunt down most connectors..

as for the conduit, try ebay etc as they have kits in various colours..

Wallace
03-01-2012, 20:37
They are expensive, but try: R.S.Components

They are all over the country and very convient, and will no doubt stock everything you'll need:agree:

Os8472
03-01-2012, 20:52
Personally mate if I were you I'd bin the old loom at start from scratch, the amount of time I wasted dicking around with the old loom was stupid.

Most the bits you need you can buy off eBay or www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk

And 1 thing I'd say you should do is replace the connector of death with something waterproof and that actually works.

Brigsy
03-01-2012, 20:58
If you want new connectors just pop down the scrappy and cut them off a clio or any renault that has the same connector, solder and heat shrink easy fix.

The plastic tubing that covers the wiring is usually available off the roll a couple of quid a metre from a decent motor factors.

J$£5GTT
03-01-2012, 21:08
best thing i ever done was new engine loom,save/repair old for spare.
:)

gttjames
04-01-2012, 09:59
cheers for replies

yer iv got a connector for the alternator, i pulled one off a old wirring loom here and one of a clio like said, but the connectors in it are rotten so was just wondering if anywhere does the same connectors as renault used to fit in the oe plug as all i have dont - will try places said though

gttjames
04-01-2012, 23:15
Personally mate if I were you I'd bin the old loom at start from scratch, the amount of time I wasted dicking around with the old loom was stupid.

Most the bits you need you can buy off eBay or www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk (http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk)

And 1 thing I'd say you should do is replace the connector of death with something waterproof and that actually works.

good website....

had a browse and im thinking these female terminals with tags are the correct ones to fit in oe blocks does anyone think?

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/825/category/2