PDA

View Full Version : Polycarb with electric windows?

bigdur
28-12-2011, 19:58
I have changed my rear quarter and rear screen and have the fronts left to do. My question is if I fit them and retain the electric windows will they damage as the unit motors closed?

SCHWARTZ
28-12-2011, 20:46
the whole reason of polycarb is to save weight so keeping the mech and motor imo is pointless. If poss get a campus winder if it will work with the poly carb windows

Tony Walker
28-12-2011, 21:01
I think it would probably flex when at its upper stop? i think they scratch easily moving them up and down also?

J$£5GTT
28-12-2011, 21:04
i think if your going to use the car on the road then the law says they cant be fixed?

bigdur
28-12-2011, 21:16
i think if your going to use the car on the road then the law says they cant be fixed?
Not sure. I'll go away and google that.

Tony Walker
28-12-2011, 21:21
Not sure its part of the mot, i know the door has to be able to open inside and out but nothing about the windows i dont think.

bigdur
28-12-2011, 21:27
I've a few jobs still to do, remove central locking, electric windows etc are down the list a bit.
Mot in January so if I can't find out leave till then and I'll ask the tester and try to remember to post back here incase anyone is interested in the outcome.

robx1r
28-12-2011, 21:39
i asked plastics 4 performance about this before this is what they said.

"You can have the rear side windows any style you wish as we have patterns for both the pop out version and the rubber seal fit versions.

The door windows will fit back into the standard winder mechanisms, alternatively you could fix them solid into the door.

I would recommend you went for the thermoformed and hardcoated versions if you wish to have the windows rolling up and down as these will seat correctly and also be more resistant to scratching than standard polycarbonate versions

Regards

--
Paul Davenport"

bigdur
28-12-2011, 21:58
Thanks Rob.
I wonder how much lighter a manual winder is. :scratch:

REGGY5GT
28-12-2011, 22:28
Thanks Rob.
I wonder how much lighter a manual winder is. :scratch:

At a guess mate, Switches, wires, relays and motors, compared to manual winder, i cant see it being much at all, Having a good sh1t before going out would probably make more difference:p

bigdur
28-12-2011, 22:30
Exactly what I thought, probably as well to leave the lecky winders in which brings me back to my 1st question. :laugh:
I know the actual windows won't save that much weight anyway (the fact that I'm 21 stone doesn't either) but I bought them as a set a while ago and just fancy fitting them. I've got some strange thought that they'll look cool.

*All credibility on RTOC fades away..........* :coffee:

robx1r
28-12-2011, 22:49
At a guess mate, Switches, wires, relays and motors, compared to manual winder, i cant see it being much at all, Having a good sh1t before going out would probably make more difference:p

your talking 2kg a side so 4 kg in total in an 830kg car then the 20 odd kg saving in the poly carb windows.

i've an electric and a manual door i'll weigh them and find the difference!

bigdur
28-12-2011, 22:49
Just a thought though. In theory fitting them would reduce the center of gravity. :agree:

bigdur
28-12-2011, 22:50
your talking 2kg a side so 4 kg in total in an 830kg car then the 20 odd kg saving in the poly carb windows.

i've an electric and a manual door i'll weigh them and find the difference!
Cool, very good of you.

Tony Walker
28-12-2011, 23:28
electric motors in the doors are much heavier than a manual winder.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
29-12-2011, 07:42
electric motors in the doors are much heavier than a manual winder.

.......and get rid of the crappy Renault wiring too.

Thundercat
29-12-2011, 08:04
Years ago was looking at building a kit car, an issue with fixed windows was that vosa says you must be able to adjust wing mirror from inside the car and there's no issue with the 5 if you've got the later internal adjuster. Hope this helps.

J$£5GTT
29-12-2011, 16:57
.......and get rid of the crappy Renault wiring too.

tony and matt....:agree:

i switched to winders,hassle free and i love a good wind up...:D

bigdur
29-12-2011, 17:23
It's sorted then. Anyone got the parts I need?

J$£5GTT
29-12-2011, 17:50
It's sorted then. Anyone got the parts I need?

think the winders are the easy parts to find,you will need the door mechanisms from a campus,make sure it is a campus/prima to and not 5 door...;):D