PDA

View Full Version : replacing fuel pipes

tom t
20-11-2008, 21:19
my m8s going to be replacing my fuel pipes tomorrow as ive had a leak underneath the car for a while now. so i hadnt been driving the car.

im just curious as to where the rubber bung is on the tank which people say leak? is it towards the front of the tank nearer the engine? in the middle?

and if it was this leaking i would have to drop the tank to fix it wouldnt i?

thanks for any help cheers

Kris M
20-11-2008, 21:26
the bung is on the drivers side of the tank, half way up, yellow in colour. Dont have to drop the tank to fix it. Take a butter knife with some pikey leak fix or similar and smear it round. If you have the tank out, some people use a souldering iron to melt the bung and the tank together : sealing them

:)

tom t
20-11-2008, 21:32
so you can see the bung easy enough? as ive never been able to see it...

and is it toward the front end of the car?

cheers

Kris M
20-11-2008, 21:39
Get under the car, look at the bottom of the main fuel tank, look up the drivers side of the tank, the bung is a small round "outlet"...yellow, halfway up the tank.....take a tourch or something and you should see it :)

tom t
20-11-2008, 21:45
ok will tell my m8 to do so 2moro. it looks like my leak is coming more from the middle of the car from where the fuel pipes come down. so will get him to check the bung 2moz anyway, just incase cheers m8

Kris M
20-11-2008, 21:49
get under the rear seat, check the 3 pipes that come off the sender unit for leaks, also check the sender unit seal itself, can be prone to leaks :)

tom t
20-11-2008, 21:51
there both ok so hopefully replacing the pipes will sort it. if its not the bung. thanks m8

tom t
21-11-2008, 13:26
me m8s replaced most of the fuel pipes and the leaks still there.

the pipe on the passengers side of the fuel sender hasnt been replaced and i think this could be the problem.

just cannot see where it runs to if any 1 could help? cheers

Kris M
21-11-2008, 18:32
the one on the passenger side is a breather, block it off and see if the leak persists....Have you ruled out a split / cracked fuel tank ??

tom t
21-11-2008, 19:02
nah i havent ruled that out. hopefully we will get it off 2moro. but it looks like most of the bolts have rusted to nothing....

tom t
22-11-2008, 10:15
trying to get the tank off now but the bolts are a pain in the arse really rusty.

am now thinkin it could be the reserve fuel pump feed to the main tank that could be the problem.

so was just woundering how and where this is routed to as cant seem to see it with the tank on.

if i knew how it was routed i could join the new fuel pipe to it and pull it through.

cheers for all youre help

Ashy
22-11-2008, 13:11
when you say your mate has replaced most of the fuel pipes are you talking about the metal ones? as there are only two?

They usualy corrode as the standard ones are steel and leak. best thing to do is put some newspaper under the car in the garage and see where the spots of fuel come from so you can confirm whats leaking rather than trying to replace everything!

tom t
22-11-2008, 13:27
yeah the two metal pipes from front to back. and the rubbers to go with them.

ive just got rid of my reserve tank and run a pipe straight from filler neck to main tank and now thats not there the leak has gone.

so the feed for the reserve tank must have been leaking where it joins the main tank.

when should i start to worry about filling the car up with petty now? does any1 have any ideas? and will the red light still work?

thanks 4 ya help every1

Mudslinger
22-11-2008, 16:17
im still trying to work that out since i removed the reserve tank , i just use the 1/4 tank mark as it being empty and ive been fine ;)

tom t
22-11-2008, 17:50
i bet you are lol. if only i had money to burn lol.

also do i need to get rid of any of the old wireing for the reserve pump? thanks