PDA

View Full Version : insurance

daveturbo
24-12-2011, 16:21
what do insurance companys class as a mod

mine had lots of engine mods,exhaust,lowered etc but i told them it was a standerd car.
do you think my insurance will be void????

cheers

Penfold aka The Dealer
24-12-2011, 17:10

mine had lots of engine mods,exhaust,lowered etc but i told them it was a standerd car.
do you think my insurance will be void????

cheers

Normally get away with a back box & air filter... Ur mods are more than that. So hope insurance company dont look into your car to much.

philg
24-12-2011, 17:59

do you think my insurance will be void???

cheers

Yeah I would think so, they get out anyway they can. Why not declare there is not that much differene in premiums, please tell me you are up to date with any points.

daveturbo
26-12-2011, 23:11
so whats the crack when claiming.never claimed before for anything.
How longs it take from start to fnish?
Money to come through,looking at the car,do they take it away etc?im wanting to buy it back from them if they pay out.whats the deal when doing that?

Just want a heads up on what to do and how long it takes.

REGGY5GT
26-12-2011, 23:33
Not sure on the other questions mate but normally they'll inspect at yours, leave the car at yours then offer to sell the car back at the same time as negociating your payout via phone/email, tbh i think your going to struggle with a payout if the mods havent been declared, i would personally try and get it as close to standard as i could before its viewed.

REGGY5GT
26-12-2011, 23:36
Yeah I would think so, they get out anyway they can. Why not declare there is not that much differene in premiums, please tell me you are up to date with any points.

hmmmm, im not so sure, i declared i had lowered my vectra gsi (only the one mod) to a/f and they increased my premium by £100 a year..:eek:

daveturbo
26-12-2011, 23:52
ill see how i get on.

Thundercat
27-12-2011, 04:22
If it works mate your a lucky man, but next time declare your mods, adrian flux acted as a broker for me with all mods declared and was well surprised with the premium.

Penfold aka The Dealer
27-12-2011, 05:02
Depends on what insurance company ur with...

Some will not allow you to buy the car back, some will ask for photo evidence of damage only, some will send somebody to have a look.

A decent assesor will go oh thats a 5GTT, boy racer car, no mods declared... But he will look out for them (some dont give a sh*t, some are just c*cks)

Internal engine mods wouldnt be a problem as 99% of the insurance companies wouldnt be able to check (and if they did u could say u didnt know) thinks like different bolt on bits unless theylook OE, the inspector should notice them & could invalidate ur insurance.

I dont get why people dont declare Mods, if u had a serious car accident (ie hit a bus full of DR's & they all died), your insurance company would have a huge claim on there hands... They would find a way to invalidatte ur insurance & then ur screwed... Just be honest, pay a small % extra & be fully legal... That way if something does go wrong u dont have the stress that u do now...

5teve L
27-12-2011, 08:13
Isn't general chat available for all to view, even non-members ?
May be an idea to delete or move this thread :dearme::rolleyes:

daveturbo
27-12-2011, 09:59
well i did tell them it had samco hoses and the exhaust but never mentioned anything else.it all depends how doop into the mods you go when telling them whats been done.carb top,boost gauge,shiny bits etc.
None of them effect the performance of the car.id be on the phone to them allday if i told them it all.most of its just bling.

Iv been with them for the last 6 years and all the cats insured have been 5,s.

I see where you are coming from when you say why dont i declare the mods but where do you stop.

car.crash
27-12-2011, 10:11
Don't be surprised if all this goes sour Dave.

djinuk
27-12-2011, 11:52
remove all the chrome shiny bits you can etc, anything that can be swapped to standard do it, as for lowering , so long as its not excessive i think you will get away with it as not many people know how high a standard r5 is, did you say the car took the whack on the back end?, could even pull off the back box and say it was stolen ??just a thought, defo removing anything screaming gttuning etc.. most other bits you ould argue are just a like for like replacment, i/e coloured hoses etc. They may argue its more desirable to be stolen with them but in this case its a low payout accident with no other car involved and the cars not been stolen so i think you should be cool.

Silly as it sounds would you get away with jacking up the back end and taking the wheels off, (axel stands), if they ask why say you wanted to see how bent it incase it could be saved, but on another note it will make it difficult for them to tell its been lowered ;). They may say, you shouldnt have took the wheels off before we came, but worst case there only going to have a winge i rekon.

As already said, mods declared next time, or most at least, but ive been there and done it, as have many of my friends , so for now lets chip in and help the lad out where poss.

daveturbo
27-12-2011, 12:02
cheers mate.

ill spend day taking what i can off

theres no rear axle on the car now as it got ripped of complete and took most of the zorst with it.

djinuk
27-12-2011, 12:08
cheers mate.

ill spend day taking what i can off

theres no rear axle on the car now as it got ripped of complete and took most of the zorst with it.

There you go then :), so really theres only coloured pipes and bits of chrome for them to winge about, do what you can, and make sure your not covered in oil and got tools lieing about when they come to inspect, if you wana be supersure, spray some black paint on your front springs if there yellow/red, to stops them spotting lowering springs.

raider_gtt
27-12-2011, 12:12
remove all the chrome shiny bits you can etc, anything that can be swapped to standard do it, as for lowering , so long as its not excessive i think you will get away with it as not many people know how high a standard r5 is, did you say the car took the whack on the back end?, could even pull off the back box and say it was stolen ??just a thought, defo removing anything screaming gttuning etc.. most other bits you ould argue are just a like for like replacment, i/e coloured hoses etc. They may argue its more desirable to be stolen with them but in this case its a low payout accident with no other car involved and the cars not been stolen so i think you should be cool.

Silly as it sounds would you get away with jacking up the back end and taking the wheels off, (axel stands), if they ask why say you wanted to see how bent it incase it could be saved, but on another note it will make it difficult for them to tell its been lowered ;). They may say, you shouldnt have took the wheels off before we came, but worst case there only going to have a winge i rekon.

As already said, mods declared next time, or most at least, but ive been there and done it, as have many of my friends , so for now lets chip in and help the lad out where poss.

i had this problem with my peugeot 206 i had a s/s backbox and tinted rear lights and that was it cos i didnt tell them they invalidatte my insur and the insur took my car to be looked at a garage as well and went right over it and see that i had a fiber glass bonnet even tho it was the oe no extra vents ect and sill put that down to a modd and i turned round and siad that i didnt know about the lights and backbox and bonnet i thought it was all genuine peugeot in the end no pay out! so dave try and get the car back to oe as much as poss penfold is right about engine side they wouldnt know inside it

this is wear it pays to have all the standard parts a side
as well as the modded parts :D