PDA

View Full Version : Building up GAZ suspension

adscan
24-12-2011, 12:40
i am going to be fitting the coilover kit i got from Bigfoot pretty soon and have run into a problem.
the top cups that came in the deal seem to be different to the others that i have found on searching the site. can anyone tell me why they are different and if they can be used. i want to build up the fronts with the standard gt turbo mounts.

the top cups i have are these..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/adscan/a756ad6d.jpg

but it would seem everyone is building their suspension up with theses (far right in pic)..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/adscan/IMAG0268.jpg

can anyone advise? will i have to get the flatter cups from GAZ?

Ashy
24-12-2011, 14:13
Search my threads ive posted up stage photos in there.

steer from the rear
24-12-2011, 14:46
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=23516

adscan
24-12-2011, 15:02
Search my threads ive posted up stage photos in there.

I had a read of your thread and that is where I found the pic. Very helpful.
The problem I am having is that your top cup looks very different to mine. I am unsure if I can use my top cups with standard Renault mounts.

steer from the rear
24-12-2011, 23:11
See my gaz kit has the spring top hat and bearing built into it with a spacer but the next step in it all is after a bearing is the top mount and nut so that's how mine are as they are in that thread its all gaz parts spring top spring retainer/bearing its just cutting out using the renault factory bearing and donut which is meant for the std renault damper not the narrow gaz one.

adscan
24-12-2011, 23:22
See my gaz kit has the spring top hat and bearing built into it with a spacer but the next step in it all is after a bearing is the top mount and nut so that's how mine are as they are in that thread its all gaz parts spring top spring retainer/bearing its just cutting out using the renault factory bearing and donut which is meant for the std renault damper not the narrow gaz one.

so you have just left out the standard renault bearing and using the one in the top cup? then the rubber donut sits on top?

Woznaldo
25-12-2011, 01:26
Do the Gaz coilovers use 2", 2.25" or 2.5" ID springs? I want to use something similar until I can make up some custom spherical bearing top mounts.

steer from the rear
25-12-2011, 12:22
so you have just left out the standard renault bearing and using the one in the top cup? then the rubber donut sits on top?

No rubber donut just the gaz bearing then the renault topmount , my engines coming bk out ASAP so will take a pic of how it's built

tiff_lee
30-12-2011, 07:31
What's the diameter of the part sticking up out of the top cup, 20mm?

Woz Gaz are 2.25", well they are on my calibra anyway.

Woznaldo
01-01-2012, 04:50
Thanks Lee, I've contacted Leda and they can supply their equivalent in 2.5"ID.

adscan
05-01-2012, 16:28
how have people got theirs set up? i am after a smooth ride for the road which is not hard or bumpy. how many clicks etc?

Markey Mark (BD)
05-01-2012, 17:40
I'm trying to remember how my old Gaz coilovers were set up but to be honest they were quite firm and prob not what your ater if you want comfy ride.

If you find you can't adjust them soft enough might be worth seeing what poundage springs you have a have softer ones fitted

adscan
05-01-2012, 18:33
I'm trying to remember how my old Gaz coilovers were set up but to be honest they were quite firm and prob not what your ater if you want comfy ride.

If you find you can't adjust them soft enough might be worth seeing what poundage springs you have a have softer ones fitted

i will give them a try and see how they ride. i also have a set of standard shocks and apex 35mm springs that i will try if the gaz turn out to be too hard.