PDA

View Full Version : How Close...?

Ashy
23-12-2011, 20:02
So, I'm sitting in traffic tonight on the way to Halfords and its a 2 lane road (only 40mph limit) and as it was busy the traffic was backed up further from the roundabout than usual.

Anyway, I'm sat with my foot on the brake, in the inside lane minding my own business and I hear a

SCCREEAAAAAACCCHHHHHHHHHHH BANG SCRRREEEEECCCHHHHH

I glance to my left and an old Fiat punto mounts the curb and careers across the grass next to my car and comes to a stop on the pavement!

She must have missed my back bumper by a few inches and she must of been doing 30mph as she swerved to avoid me.

After I realised what just happened I sat there in the traffic thinking... Feck that was a close one, she coulda just ruined my Christmas!

So, share your stories... What sort of near misses have you had?

old skool turbo power
23-12-2011, 20:28
funny you say that there mate cause id seen this a few days ago and thought this is one lucky guy!!!talk about a near miss:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUV8PENjdDM

id say the only near misses that i have had myself is prob been caught on black ice in the earely mornings only to realey relise when ive needed to brake on corners ect bit hair rasing though:crap:

J$£5GTT
23-12-2011, 20:38
funny you say that there mate cause id seen this a few days ago and thought this is one lucky guy!!!talk about a near miss:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUV8PENjdDM

id say the only near misses that i have had myself is prob been caught on black ice in the earely mornings only to realey relise when ive needed to brake on corners ect bit hair rasing though:crap:

:eek:

REGGY5GT
23-12-2011, 21:21
Hmmm, i remember travelling back from nantwich to market drayton (A529) a while back when i had my calibra se5 redtop, now that road is one of them whindy A roads and i was clocking on more than what i should have been to come to a bend and as i went round the bend an arctic truck was sat taking the whole road up, i had no time to brake and the little time that i did sent the back going wild due to it being on a corner, the gap must have only been 5 foot wide, to this day i have no idea how i didnt have the head on, but one things for sure i wouldnt be reading this if i had.

Tony Walker
24-12-2011, 00:52
i done the same thing as she did several years ago in my 5 camparse, came round a bend on a 60mph(not doing 60 prob about 45-50) rd and some new traffic lights where in front, luckily the back guy realised and left a 2 car gap i just about braked slid past his drivers side between him and a car coming the other way and just pulled infront of him. no idea how my car fit between two cars on a normal 2 lane road ?????? i was just waiting for the grinding noise as i skidded between the two.

philg
24-12-2011, 08:53
So, I'm sitting in traffic tonight on the way to Halfords and its a 2 lane road (only 40mph limit) and as it was busy the traffic was backed up further from the roundabout than usual.

Anyway, I'm sat with my foot on the brake, in the inside lane minding my own business and I hear a

SCCREEAAAAAACCCHHHHHHHHHHH BANG SCRRREEEEECCCHHHHH

I glance to my left and an old Fiat punto mounts the curb and careers across the grass next to my car and comes to a stop on the pavement!

She must have missed my back bumper by a few inches and she must of been doing 30mph as she swerved to avoid me.

After I realised what just happened I sat there in the traffic thinking... Feck that was a close one, she coulda just ruined my Christmas!

So, share your stories... What sort of near misses have you had?

Sound like you have been lucky mate, the man upstairs must like you at the moment, just hope santas the same :)

Ashy
24-12-2011, 09:30
Sound like you have been lucky mate, the man upstairs must like you at the moment, just hope santas the same :)

Well i have been a good boy!:p

GTphil
24-12-2011, 10:17
Once a mate of mine was on his way to work a little earlyer than usual as he couldn't sleep.

He stopped at the shop to get some fags and a paper, on his way to the counter he passed a bloke who was on his way out of the shop. When he got back in his van he was just about to drive away when said bloke pulled away in front of him without even looking.

Around a mile or so down the road approaching a right hand bend on a 60 Mph road, a clio v6 coming the other way sideways collided head on with the car infront of my mate that was the bloke from the shop!!

Killing him and the passenger in the vee but the driver of the vee survived. He pulled over ran down the Hill at the side of the road where both cars ended up and he said it was probably the most awefull thing he had ever seen in his life.

He rang an ambulance and the poilice, around 6 months later he had to go to court as a witness and it turns out that both the young lads in the vee had took the car from a Renault garage the evening before for a test drive but didn't return it. The driver of the vee ended up being done for death by dangerous driving plus a few other things.

If my mate had been just a couple of mins earlyer it would have been him..........

Ricardo
24-12-2011, 12:10
This happened about 3 years ago when i lived at a mates out in the sticks, nice B roads. On the way home the road changes from the 30mph to national speed limit, i know the roads like the back of my hand but on this occasion you can't help unforseen objects :D

There's a slight left hand kink in the road with tall trees so you can't see what's up ahead. I approach this 'kink' at about 70mph, when i get round it there's a lorry on my side of the road with workers painting lines on the section 300 yards after the kink. There's also a car behind the lorry waiting to go round it.

I know very quickly that i'm going too quick for the distance between the kink and the lorry so head towards the wrong side of the road to go past to which i realise there's a car coming the other way. There's nothing for it, i take to the grass verge on the left at speed beaching the car on the ever increasing height grass verge and slide to a standstill next to the car behind the lorry! I look at the 3 blokes in the car and they're tripped out to see me next to them on the verge, on the passenger side is a 3ft deep ditch next to the farmers field. This all happening in a matter of seconds.

The line painting lorry has to drag the car off the verge, albeit grass stuck in the front subframe the car is unscathed and i'm one shook up but very lucky person.

To think i could have ploughed into the back of the car or lorry, or not seen the oncoming car and ploughed head first into it :eek::cry: :ashamed:

I admit to going a little fruity on that stretch but i said to the workers there were no(Men at work) warning signs laid out hundreds of yards before the lorry or cones directly behind it

Mart
24-12-2011, 14:17
Snetterton in the Raider was the closest I've came to it all going pete tong. Someone was looking down on me that day for sure...

Kris M
24-12-2011, 14:25
This wasnt one of my best moments :crap::cry:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=53&pictureid=4106

J$£5GTT
24-12-2011, 15:33
hitting a dead badger at 50+mph on my motorbike,how i survived that i dont know...got to many stories like that....:dearme:

Moggy
24-12-2011, 18:13
hitting a dead badger at 50+mph on my motorbike,how i survived that i dont know...got to many stories like that....:dearme:

mmmm or hitting an alive one 3 times it no matter how hard I hit the brembo's I was still going and the poor thing just kept bouncin and I kept catching it up! :scared:

mmmm

OPPPSSS

Alastair
24-12-2011, 18:25
This wasnt one of my best moments :crap::cry:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=53&pictureid=4106

Poor Ph1... What a shame!

M are you up for a testing day on the 29th? Jessie and I are out playing!

J$£5GTT
24-12-2011, 21:16
Poor Ph1... What a shame!

M are you up for a testing day on the 29th? Jessie and I are out playing!

i hope to be there al...
:agree: