PDA

View Full Version : front suspension

old skool turbo power
23-12-2011, 13:03
after finishing off all my things i kinda needed to do on the van inc lowering it i had noticed ive got pretty bad neg camber :(whats the reason for this would anyone know.ive lowered the 5s before and never had this prob just now on the van:ashamed::(
ive lowered it on 30 mm springs and repalce the shocks with std campus ones again.a campus i had before was fine?would this be the case of losenig the top nut and repostion towards the engine?last thing i want is the screw up the new tryes ive just got :cry:any ideas any one thanks :agree:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=127&pictureid=4080

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=127&pictureid=4078

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=127&pictureid=4079

Markey Mark (BD)
23-12-2011, 13:36
Have you used the same top mounts?

If so and you only changed the shocks i'd say the shock mounting plates are different, check your old ones and see if the are drill in straight line as i wonder if your new ones are drilled at slight angle like the phase 2 gt shocks

old skool turbo power
23-12-2011, 18:38
Have you used the same top mounts?

If so and you only changed the shocks i'd say the shock mounting plates are different, check your old ones and see if the are drill in straight line as i wonder if your new ones are drilled at slight angle like the phase 2 gt shocks

yeh id used the same top mounts mate. its was new shocks that i got also and tbh asuming that i had brought new shocks and it was for the std 5 anyway i wudda thought it would of still be the same:scratch: :ashamed:.but the old ones went into the bin or is just aftermarket products for you :(.
the bolt was a tight squeese though to get in:confused:

Woznaldo
23-12-2011, 21:31
If you were running phase II GTT struts and those top mounts, you'd get a lot of negative camber. Are you running phase II GTT struts?

old skool turbo power
23-12-2011, 22:25
If you were running phase II GTT struts and those top mounts, you'd get a lot of negative camber. Are you running phase II GTT struts?

no mate the advert was describing only for the 1.4 models excluding the gt turbo.
but out intrest running on gtt to mounts would this get rid of the negative camber i have?ill be having another quick look again tomorrow to doubble check everythink.

steer from the rear
24-12-2011, 12:43
phase 2 top mounts will correct this camber as it will put the top of ur shocker further out into the wheel arch :agree:

and check ur tracking. ive had all manners of problems with hub/shock/top mounts with me using f7p shafts and hubs

Brigsy
24-12-2011, 16:21
Check the offset on the original van shocker bolt holes is the same as the new ones mate, something must be different, when i lowered mine on the original shockers i only had 1.5 ish degrees neg camber.

old skool turbo power
24-12-2011, 18:09
phase 2 top mounts will correct this camber as it will put the top of ur shocker further out into the wheel arch :agree:

and check ur tracking. ive had all manners of problems with hub/shock/top mounts with me using f7p shafts and hubs

the new shocks id got i think must be diffrent(aftermarket product i guess:sad2:) as in the mounting bolts holes itself.but i had a look today and striped down the shock placed it in postion and then looked from above from where the top mount would sit and postioned it roughley in the centre of where it would sit,still same prob,but move it off set as you say there unsing (gt turbo top mounts)it was pretty much there.
so ill be on to getting some top mounts.thanks 4 the help ppl :agree::cool:

Woznaldo
24-12-2011, 21:45
Pull a front wheel off and take a photo of the bottom of the strut where it attaches to the hub and post up here. We'll then be able to give you some more guidance.

old skool turbo power
08-01-2012, 22:37
:laugh:managed to get the suspension sorted out:agree: managed to get some top mounts and all come togther :)was a bit of a tight squeese but all sorted anyway.
if anyone was thinking or had the same problem as me and the camber was so silly like mine its just down to the fact of IM GUESSING phase 2 shocks wont fit if lowered on 30mm springs with phase 1 top mounts so phase 2 top mounts is needed.
campus/van front suspension must all be phase one??:confused:
ill get pics up of the beast soon haha:laugh:

thanks for the help ppl as well :agree: