PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded 'Sports' dampers V Coilovers

Ricardo
19-11-2008, 18:47
I'm looking into what suspension to buy for the GTT, my 1st thought was to upgrade the dampers front and rear to a Koni setup with 50mm lowering springs up front. I can adjust the settings quite easy and leave it be. When i rang a shop today for a qoute they came back with a price a little more than a GAZ coilover setup which i thought a little strange.

IMO a basic coilover will only give me adjustable height, maybe a choice of poundage spring at a push, i also thought a basic coilover kit would be like £100 more than say a sports kit. I'm happy with the 50mm lowered ride height up front hence a potential Koni purchase.

I was qouted £440 for Koni and £400 for the Gaz kit, i don't know why but i have my concerns on the GAZ kit. The 5 will be a weekend B road car and odd trackday/ Ring trip vehicle.

r5 rich
19-11-2008, 19:58
speak to this person on ebay. i bought a set of brand new gaz coilovers with rear dampers brand new 300 quid for the clio:)

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/wcg869_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Brigsy
19-11-2008, 20:00
Go for the koni's mate, you know it makes sense.

car.crash
19-11-2008, 23:32
or get the koni coilovers, best of both worlds then.

warpspeed
20-11-2008, 15:31
The gaz shocks are rebuildable and excellent quality, their custom shocks are a bit steep though, they wanted £500 for 2 front coilovers for a sunny gti!

rennie5gtt
20-11-2008, 17:16
Hi

You could go for avo coilover,thats what I use, I think they are great, and the fact that you can sit the front as high or as low as the back, makes the car sit nice and flat, not that cheap, but you normaly get what you pay for when it come down to shocks, I have used spaxs coilovers in the past but they did end up leaking, and 550 pounds is alot of money when you cannot get them fixed,and this happen to 2 different sets, thats why I went for avos this time.

rennie5gtt
20-11-2008, 17:22
Hi again

If it is koni you want, look around, I found a site not so long back that had 20% of all koni shocks and springs, not sure what one it was now.