PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Oil From Dipstick

Fishey
03-12-2011, 17:29
I have a bit of an issue with my engine occasionally blowing oil from the dipstick tube, i presume this is due to the bottom end pressurising under boost? I'm thinking that it means piston rings?

The first time this happened the turbo gave up, so i changed the turbo in the hope the oil coming out of the dipstick was a coincidence.

Since changing the turbo the oil pressure guage is reading a lot higer, 5.5 at 3k, 3.5 at idle.

djinuk
03-12-2011, 17:39
common issue, may not be blowing due to that.. the rubber around the dipstick goes hard and dosent fit snug, fit a little electrical tape or similar around it and stick it back in.:).

Fishey
03-12-2011, 18:01
Thats good! Just going to get another turbo as the replacement i fitted smokes aswell!:mad:

Thats enough money as im gonna do it properly and get a new one, didn't like the idea of trying to get enough money together for a rebuild aswell!

Tony Walker
03-12-2011, 20:47
Check your breather pipes. main one from the sump and check the rocker cover pipes and the cover itself isnt blocked.

Fishey
04-12-2011, 13:18
Check your breather pipes. main one from the sump and check the rocker cover pipes and the cover itself isnt blocked.

Ok will do.

bigdur
04-12-2011, 21:19
Mine from my sump has a bolt in it, I only have one from the rocker cover to a breather tank. Is this a bad idea? :crap:

Tony Walker
05-12-2011, 19:26
yeah, the sump needs to breath too, vent it in to a catch tank,

fishead
05-12-2011, 20:37
the sump one, if o/e is oil return not a breather, the other end of it sits pretty much as low as you can get in the sump. it is a good idea to have it all connected near enough o/e so the oil does get seperated and returned. if the oil is sat in the pipes ect an they leak split ect it is possible to dump it onto the ex manifold, this may in turn lead to a slight issue