PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake compensator needed or not?

robx1r
01-12-2011, 08:18
One of the reasons my 5 is off the road is the brake lines going to the compensator had burst.

my compensator has seen better days but the lever still moves. i'm going to run new brake lines from the master cylinder down.

i have no seats in the back and have no intentions in the slightest in putting them in.

does anybody on hear run a daily driver without it?

what are the possible downsides of running without it?

Andrew Cooke
01-12-2011, 08:28
essential, without it your rear brakes will see full brake pressure and you'll lock the rear wheels and/or spin every time you try and slow down.

philg
01-12-2011, 08:33
Im sure i read just the other day on here someone had removed theirs.

I replaced mine this year, cost about £70, i removed the spring on it that connects to the rear beam and made an adjustable clamp with a threaded bar to adjust, mine is pretty much pulled all the way forwards, giving more braking to the back. I do run 4 pots though :)

robx1r
01-12-2011, 08:35
when the car was flat on the ground the spring was loose on it and the braking was fine?

SCHWARTZ
01-12-2011, 10:34
If the spring was loose you wernt seeing full braking. I like Phil have an adjustable rod but I may do away with this and go back to spring as the seats are going back in.

markey b
02-12-2011, 13:29
i did a campus to gtt rear beam conversion, deleted the comp valve and it was absolutely fine :)