PDA

View Full Version : What funds your r5 obsessions.

djinuk
19-11-2008, 09:41
Just wondering what you lot work as, and if your jobs are related to cars etc, i myself managed to leave 6th form and get pulled into the buildingtrade/manufactor, i previousy worked in dispatch for a lintel company named keystone, now i work at a international company whom manufactor roof tiles. I work as a estimator in technical, so i work out if a roof will work , and if it conforms to british standards etc , and also i work out quantitys of roofing items etc and what angles they should be set at.. To be honest its not my ideal job, and i hate maths which is what it all comes down to. unfortunatly though with the uk going the way it is , i guess i should count myself lucky for still having a job in the building. So comon peeps what funs your r5 obsessions.

BriC
19-11-2008, 09:43
I'm a CAD technician for Jacobs Engineering :)

Martinjerome
19-11-2008, 09:54
I run project and operations for Zapcat Racing LTD, the largest one design powerboat race series in the world.

Just as much fun as an r5, but on the water. Pulls up to 3g in full throttle 180 degree turns, and 350 bhp per ton! All this whilst doing 50mph when your ass is 6 inches from the water.

All good fun........shame it does pay enough though.

Just one more plug:

Children in need experence day saturday and sunday from merlin quay in southampton.

40 quid per experence with the 2008 national champions in their race ready Z10 zapcat.

Misky
19-11-2008, 09:57
Structural cad tecnician
Big up the autocad massive! :D
Im expecting a substantial pay increase soon!
So here comes lots of new shiny parts! :agree:

BriC
19-11-2008, 09:58
Yeh, but Misky, you only have LT, and one monitor :cool:

:D

Misky
19-11-2008, 10:03
Yeh, but Misky, you only have LT, and one monitor :cool:

Its all about quality! Haha :cooter:

James5
19-11-2008, 10:06
Nothing Car related - But I am a Senior Insurance Liability Technician - :cooter:

BriC
19-11-2008, 10:07
The quality of my work is quality.. innit :scared: :D

Bigfoot
19-11-2008, 10:18
IT Assistant for a Motor Trade factor.

Guybrush
19-11-2008, 10:21
Software development : www.twenty6developments.com a company that myself and friend started this year :)

djinuk
19-11-2008, 10:37
Im meant to use cad during my estimate, but i guess im old skool and prefer pen to paper and my calc :P.. oh plus my computer is a pain in the arse with cad and just ****s me off so i avoid it at all costs.. apart from posting on here of course.. :D

DaveMayGTT
19-11-2008, 10:40
IT & Technical support engineer for a security company. Doesnt always give enough funds to keep her on the road every year mind but i guess thats the money drain that are kids!

Amber5GTTurb
19-11-2008, 10:47
I work in Fundraising at a healthcare charity.

Could probably do with setiing up 5OIN - 5 owners in need though :D

I've noticed we have Teachers on here - I wish mine were into 5's when I was at school!

D4WNO
19-11-2008, 11:04
Doesn't fund a 5 (as I don't have one lol) but it does pay the bills well :)

I'm a SAP Analyst and Tester for the UKs largest wholesale distributer. In short I support a touch over 1000 of our users with a piece of software called SAP. If they break it, I fix it. I'm also involved heavily with testing new system releases and liaising with our development team to implement my suggested changes.

Zzzzz...man, I even bored myself there :ashamed:

Mart
19-11-2008, 11:14
Bloody hell, that's spooky Dawn, as we're in the process of having SAP installed on our systems here. All the office girls are loving the training & trying to get to grips with the new software... :sad2: :D

D4WNO
19-11-2008, 11:17
Lol Mart, all I can say is....good luck! :laugh:

MikeA
19-11-2008, 11:36
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I run a 3D visualization company in Glasgow. I take CAD drawings from architects and other sources and create photorealistic renders for site signs and brochures. I also do abit of motion graphics and art directions for web navigation.

Running 2 x 22" monitors and a dual quad core tower with an nvidia quadro fx 4600 woot woot! :)

Its crazy how many of us are in CAD or 3D type positions! :agree:

BriC
19-11-2008, 11:39
Damn you! I'm only dual core with 2x19" monitors :(

stuTHC
19-11-2008, 11:50
Im in the CAD game also.
Im a production engineer. I use AutoCAD 2008, Inventor, Solidworks. Only got one 17" monitor thou:cry:

btw, these set ups that use 2 monitors? ive seen them with 2 monitors, showing different info, running from 1 tower, with 1 keyboard mouse etc, do you need any special software/program/graphic card to do that?

MikeA
19-11-2008, 11:53

Damn you! I'm only dual core with 2x19" monitors :(

lol, I couldnt work any other way anymore!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/mikeangeloamato/desk.jpg

Mind you, there is a couple things i want for the 5 so maybe Ill be selling these soon, Im becoming like a junkie thinking what I can seel to fund my GTT habit! :D

MikeA
19-11-2008, 11:56
Im in the CAD game also.
Im a production engineer. I use AutoCAD 2008, Inventor, Solidworks. Only got one 17" monitor thou:cry:

btw, these set ups that use 2 monitors? ive seen them with 2 monitors, showing different info, running from 1 tower, with 1 keyboard mouse etc, do you need any special software/program/graphic card to do that?

No, the graphics card has two monitor ports on the back and normally has its own independent monitor software (but you dont need it).

There are different ways of having it set up but basically your computer just sees it as one big monitor...kind of.

Brigsy
19-11-2008, 12:23
Maintenance improvement tech, for local housing association. On with housing stock condition surveys at the moment.

raj
19-11-2008, 13:04
been out of work for 2yrs due to health reasons :(

ive got absolutely no qualifications and before illness i was a factory worker.

a good job i never use to throw money away when i was in work as i definatly wouldnt be able to live off the incap benefit.:sad2:

im coming off the benefit now as im on the mend:) but im VERY worried that with the way things are at the moment it will be immpossible to find work:cry: even more so that ive got no qualifications.
id actually like to learn a trade but im lost on what id actually like to do:rolleyes:

the 5 will also go when i finished it.

dj13
19-11-2008, 13:05
I sell crack to kids! :agree: :cooter:

Chris Hebden
19-11-2008, 13:10
I am a civil engineer working for Oxfordshire Highways, I look at and approve drawings you CAD monkeys ;) have drawn, then inspect the works on site!

g10far
19-11-2008, 13:35

I run a 3D visualization company in Glasgow. I take CAD drawings from architects and other sources and create photorealistic renders for site signs and brochures. I also do abit of motion graphics and art directions for web navigation.

Running 2 x 22" monitors and a dual quad core tower with an nvidia quadro fx 4600 woot woot! :)

Its crazy how many of us are in CAD or 3D type positions! :agree:

Cool a fellow visualiser, I do the same sort of thing as you. I currently work for a media company who's main customer profile are housing developers, I also have two monitors so much easier than having 1

djinuk
19-11-2008, 15:02
my topic starters just rock.

BriC
19-11-2008, 15:16
:laugh: It is a good idea :)

GTphil
19-11-2008, 16:04
:sad2: in answer to the question! nothing!:cry: got a few things in the pipeline tho i'm 27 and this is the first time in my life i havnt had a job. enjoying the student like lifestyle at the min tho!:cool: i look at it as i missed out on being a student when i was younger so i'm serving my time now! lol

djinuk
19-11-2008, 16:42
i thought about going to uni, i have equivelant to 2 alevels under my belt, but i never planned to go, hmm will have to see what the future holds, i just dont know if i could live of crap wage.

dgdogz
19-11-2008, 16:46

im 22 work for a photography company doing restoration and production of canvas prints and plexiglas block pics.
working with photoshop and quad core machines too...sadly i only got one screen but its a biggie
hahaha
i do airbrushing and tattooing/piercing to bring in more money and i also custom airbrush/paint shoes for some more money.
ive had my 5 for 8 months and ive renewed most things
next on list is respray ,coilovers and retrim.
im in glasgow so if anyone needs a hand or a chat give me a shout
:)

Penfold aka The Dealer
19-11-2008, 16:59
Dawn - Used SAP about 5 years ago... was f*cking shit, nothing but problem...

As for i am the Sexiest Driving Instructor in the UK - And thats a fact.

Calsberg dont make sexy men, but if they did they would be like me! :D

Grunge
19-11-2008, 17:02
I also work for a Motor Factors like bigfoot.. we also have the same name..weird, but we dont work for the same people. Plus im on counter. Also the other half likes to pay for bits :D its all good.

Ricardo
19-11-2008, 17:03
I'm a carpenter, can't beat manual labour :)

car.crash
19-11-2008, 17:04
i work at a shooting school. we teach people how to shoot guns safely, also offer a large range of corporate days out. the tips help pay for my mods. plus i have access to lots of power tools which always helps.

Grunge
19-11-2008, 17:06
I'm a carpenter, can't beat manual labour :)

I dont suppose you no my step brother and father? Colin + Darren/Daz Devine? There also carpenters, there northen to narrow it down a bit lol

clee
19-11-2008, 17:08
Another CAD dude .....Plastics and Injection mould tool design .I've got an old ,huge ,heavy 22 inch .....Ohh yeh ,I also pack boxes

longy
19-11-2008, 18:06

Assistant operations manager for shipping and warehouse company.

But i think you need to win the lotto to get the 5 how you want it:confused:

Sparkie
19-11-2008, 21:08
Technician in the Aircon and Diagnostics division of GSF Carparts.

Kris M
19-11-2008, 21:18
Im an aircraft engineer, i work for a small company who restores old warbird aircraft. We currently have a 2 seater Spitfire that we are restoring back to airworthyness. I overhaul and rebuild magnito`s for old aircraft aswell

The new Bill J
19-11-2008, 21:22
Im an aircraft engineer, i work for a small company who restores old warbird aircraft. We currently have a 2 seater Spitfire that we are restoring back to airworthyness. I overhaul and rebuild magnito`s for old aircraft aswell

I never knew that, top stuff. I've always had a bit of an interest/soft spot for Second World War aircraft :cool:

Spooky
19-11-2008, 21:27
Honda fund's my habit :cooter:

Mike Wilson@ PCS
19-11-2008, 21:31
people breaking them and modifying them

J$£5GTT
19-11-2008, 22:59

you got to grow into those overalls before you call yourself an aircraft
engineer M lol,up up an away :cooter::D

turbonick84
19-11-2008, 23:23

I'm a chemist, look after the Anaerobic Reactors at William Grants Distillery. Fun & Games.

Oh, and i send this email all the way from sunny Belize, currently on Anaerobic Process training at the Belikin Brewery, happy days.

Nick

gttjames
20-11-2008, 00:56
I am a apprentice mechanic on peanuts. Love the 5! also tint windows, thats where the little exrtra comes in, allthough been quiete recently as done all my mates cars:p

Have got a big shopping list coming up for the 5, will be exspensive, oh well atleast im dont pay labour, still work on cars all day need a break so will be hard to work on cars in free time, but its the 5, will be motivated for it:)

Ashy
20-11-2008, 12:38
Commercial Manager of a large subcontract CNC machine shop and soon to be part time Dad :)

stuTHC
20-11-2008, 12:45
I am a apprentice mechanic on peanuts.

:cool: i didn't know that peanuts had any moving parts ;) :laugh:

MikeA
20-11-2008, 13:18
:cool: i didn't know that peanuts had any moving parts ;) :laugh:

hahaha at first i was like eh?! Then I read it again! :laugh:

gttjames
20-11-2008, 17:22
hahaha at first i was like eh?! Then I read it again! :laugh:

paul b
20-11-2008, 17:22
I pimp out my whiter than white ass......

brings in the dough, and i get every other sunday off to let the bruising fade

BriC
20-11-2008, 17:23
LOLOL :laugh: