PDA

View Full Version : Battery Light

Ashy
27-11-2011, 22:46
Evening Chaps,

Was out for a spin tonight in the 5 and the battery light came on for a few seconds and then went off again. I checked the alternator belt and connection on the alternator and everything was fine. Happened twice on a 30 min run.

I've checked all the connections which seem fine, the alternator is charging the battery and I cleaned the plug on the side of the alternator (yellow & purple wires).

Just wondering what else could cause it to come on, it wasn't like it flickered, it came on solid and then went off again. :confused:

Kris M
27-11-2011, 22:51
If everything in the engine bay was ok, could possibly be something in the dash wireing?

Slim
27-11-2011, 22:57
alternator possibly on its way out.. :scared:

Nick k
27-11-2011, 22:59
It means it decided not to charge for some reason! Either lost its 12v feed on its yellow wire for a second or so, maybe caused by the crap engine connector or the regulator in the alternator is on its way out. I've had 2 alternator start to do this (both now in the bin as lost patience with them)

Nick k
27-11-2011, 23:08
When i suspect its the alternator i run a wire from the ignition feed to the aei (as its feed from a different point) to the yellow wire on the 2 pin plug of the alternator. If the problem goes away then its a supply problem, if its still causing problems then you know its the alternator ;)

Slim
27-11-2011, 23:15
also,, if the belt slips (maybe on quick spoolup/high rev) it wont charge for a sec,, but if u were driving slow, then its not that :cooter:

gtmatt
27-11-2011, 23:22
Voltage reg maybe be out there's 2 carbon bushes that ware out,i got a new alt of eBay :)

Ashy
27-11-2011, 23:22
also,, if the belt slips (maybe on quick spoolup/high rev) it wont charge for a sec,, but if u were driving slow, then its not that :cooter:

Yeah unfortunately it was going steady, It used to do it at higher revs but then cleaning up the yellow / purple connector sorted that out...

Scoff
28-11-2011, 00:07
check the yellow wires passage through the "hell" connector !