PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to jubilee clips on hoses

c5 swh
18-11-2008, 19:04
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

As title says really you will all no that there is alot of pipes on the r5 setup especialy around the carb just wondered if there was anything else i can use instead of the usual jublie clips.

I notice that when they come from new they have clips which cannnot be used again but they do look alot tidier in my honest opoion?

any ideas?

raj
18-11-2008, 19:08
you could use tie wraps? or the smaller clips as used on fuel lines etc?

Mudslinger
18-11-2008, 19:15
i doubt a tie wrap would keep the boost hoses on for long

Andrew Cooke
18-11-2008, 19:17

they're fine on the small bore stuff (not fuel or main boost hoses though)

raj
18-11-2008, 19:17

oops, i thought he was only on about the carb vac pipes:ashamed: my bad

tiff_lee
18-11-2008, 19:44
I think I know what you're after the clips are often found on airlines and such.

I couldnt seem to find any but came across this website
http://www.directindustry.com/prod/prevost/collar-clamp-7518-309863.html
the clips in top right of the image, once used thats it.
Probably with some more goggling and the right search terms you can get them on ebay but yes I agree they do look tidier and if you find some I may well invest in some myself.

Edit: Ok after a quick ebay search it appears the type i'm talking about are double ear o clips.

Guybrush
18-11-2008, 19:47
jubillee clips are fine, just buy decent ones instead of cheap ones :p

J$£5GTT
18-11-2008, 20:40
take a look at these,maybe what you are
lookin for :)

http://www.mikalor.co.uk/

DaveMayGTT
19-11-2008, 10:28

Discounts for bulk amounts there! Im sure everyone gets annoyed with everytime you work on the car at least one jubilee clip breaks or it does for me. Looks like a really good investment i think. Group buy or maybe club purchase for shop if enough interested? (Dont know if thats possible or easy, just an idea as you know they will all sell eventually)

Mudslinger
19-11-2008, 12:52
yup they aint cheap are they , the only problem i find is they are pretty bulky and not so good in tight places :)

Andrew Cooke
19-11-2008, 13:25
yup they aint cheap are they , the only problem i find is they are pretty bulky and not so good in tight places :)

yeah, and heavy too :(

DaveMayGTT
19-11-2008, 13:34
Any other sugestions then? Mine are always breaking and look old and manky now, would like some new shiny strong ones but all seem to have a downside.

tiff_lee
19-11-2008, 13:42
Are the double ear 'o' clips not a viable solution then? I admit they are not ideal if you are constantly removing hoses due to their single use nature but then the cost of them is minimal and they are small/tidy in comparison to jubilee's.

Of course thats just my opinion.

J$£5GTT
19-11-2008, 13:47
is the weight of clips really an issue though?,on a car which
could be stripped out an with a cage,i dont think it does.....
:coffee:
try the tridons then...

www.stagonset.co.uk

RichR
19-11-2008, 13:52
If they're manky and keep breaking, replace them. No need to go for super duper expensive things, as long as you replace them before they rot. Better quality clips have less of a tendency for the worm drive to fall apart or jam.

I've replaced most of the ones on my black GTT with stainless steel ones - not hugely more expensive than galvanised mild steel ones, but they last a lot longer before tarnishing. RS Components sell some nice wide ones which reduce the risk of damaging the hose through overtightening.

Adam L
19-11-2008, 18:15
I used Mikalor boost clamps on my Pulsar pipe work, they're a bit more expensive than jubilee clips, I paid just over £16 for a pack of 10 (67mm-72mm). You can do them up a hell of alot tighter than jubilee's too.

markey b
19-11-2008, 18:59
bb do mail order on a complete set, i was too lazy to take mine all down to a local hardware place to match sizes. just watch out for the £8.50 carriage if its still the case :cry:

D4WNO
19-11-2008, 19:28

Guess who has just arranged a 30% discount with Mikalor? :D

I'll post up the full details in just a bit for you guys

Wayno
19-11-2008, 19:34

Nice one D4WNO :cool:

DaveMayGTT
20-11-2008, 08:28

Nice one D4wno, that was quick! :agree:

Frix
20-11-2008, 10:34
guys try sfs performance, they do different quality clips and the mikalor ones, might be worth getting a price from them too.

http://www.sfsperformance.co.uk/hose_clamps.asp#jubilee

tiff_lee
11-12-2008, 01:31

Did we get anymore details regarding a discount D4WNO?

Quick question , does anybody know the total amount of clips and sizes for all 15 hoses with regards to one of the complete 15 hose sets.

I just got my samco hoses but don't fancy ruining them by causing damage with a incorrect clamp i.e no rolled edges and the samco clip kits cost a small fortune.

dgdogz
11-12-2008, 08:55
samco do clips for the hoses
im guessin theyd b pretty dear tho

:)