PDA

View Full Version : gearbox refurbishment..?

raj
12-11-2011, 17:39
i was thinking about rebuilding a jb3 gearbox once i got hold of one but after looking at THIS THREAD (http://www.gtt64.com/GTT64_article_13.html) i think i'll give it a miss:scared:

ive rebuilt many engines but gearboxes look rather scary to deal with:crap:

who has had there gearbox fully rebuilt? or even rebuilt and uprated? what company did it?

and as where on the subject, are there any stronger gearboxes that will mate up to the c1j and also keep the speedo gear working?

Penfold aka The Dealer
12-11-2011, 18:22
I think mr bean aka pete does gearbox rebuilds, best buying a decent 2nd hand units.

CGB offer rebuilt gearboxs for alot of cash, think Renault still do refurbish kits for them & may do the refurbish for an extreme charge.

We have done a huge thread about gearboxs (have a look in the articles thread), I think there fiddly but if you have a methodical approach to working on them & plenty of room to spread the parts out no reason why you cant have a go (maybe worth taking one apart & putting back together before spending. Money on new parts )

raj
12-11-2011, 18:34
I think mr bean aka pete does gearbox rebuilds, best buying a decent 2nd hand units.

CGB offer rebuilt gearboxs for alot of cash, think Renault still do refurbish kits for them & may do the refurbish for an extreme charge.

We have done a huge thread about gearboxs (have a look in the articles thread), I think there fiddly but if you have a methodical approach to working on them & plenty of room to spread the parts out no reason why you cant have a go (maybe worth taking one apart & putting back together before spending. Money on new parts )

i hear what your saying mate, its just ive not the patients nor time these days to take on something like this.

and how is one supposed to know that a 2nd hand gearbox is decent.?

so are there other boxes that will fit that will keep the speedo working? what about the jc5.?

Renault 5 GT Turbo
12-11-2011, 19:27
Hi Raj,

I have just had my gearbox rebuilt, not back in just yet as I have taken the opportunity to thoroughly clean up the engine, bay, subframe, every pipe and wire!

My car had not been used for about 5-6 years before I got it and that meant part of the bearings were out of the gearbox oil exposed to the air and condensation within the box. As such, I would be weary about buying a second hand box unless I knew how long it had been stored or out of use for.

So my gearbox has just been refurbed with new syncros and bearings costing circa £350

raj
12-11-2011, 20:21
Hi Raj,

I have just had my gearbox rebuilt, not back in just yet as I have taken the opportunity to thoroughly clean up the engine, bay, subframe, every pipe and wire!

My car had not been used for about 5-6 years before I got it and that meant part of the bearings were out of the gearbox oil exposed to the air and condensation within the box. As such, I would be weary about buying a second hand box unless I knew how long it had been stored or out of use for.

So my gearbox has just been refurbed with new syncros and bearings costing circa £350

and can i ask who carried out the work on your gearbox.?

steer from the rear
12-11-2011, 20:36
cgb is around 350 mate, i wonder if you could use this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPEED-SPEEDO-SENSOR-RENAULT-CLIO-SPORT-182-172-2-0-16v-LAGUNA-MEGANE-SCENIC-1-9-/280757986160?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415e7ae370

to convert cable to a gt sensor

clio 1.8 16v is jb3 crap
williams/megane is jc5 but not a bolt in diff

as i understand 172 ph 1 is cable
all cup 172 182 ect models are non abs therefore cable
172 ph2 and 182 are abs and electric

also the dci gearboxes are a jc5 without the mega price tag

can i find a cable box to use with my valver dash on the other hand :scared::cry::cry:

Markey Mark (BD)
13-11-2011, 15:53
Hi Raj,

Its also had few new bulk rings fitted too as they were worn out where previous owner held hand on gearstick too. ;)