PDA

View Full Version : fuel problem

LYNCHSTAR
06-11-2011, 21:04
Rebuilt a carb cleaned it all and used air gun to clean out used standard venturi 1mm a/c 1.2 main 1.2mm 2nd stage and used new gaskets set boost to 18psi using stage 3 hybrid with 285 piper cam set afr 14.1 to 14.3 it pulled like hell on boost at 11.8 but on cruise the reading was between 10 and high 11,s. i chaned the a/c to a 1.25 and still the same. on way home i broke down:cry: tried starting it and there was no fuel delivery so i put old carb back on and same again . After a load of checks by chance i took the lid of fuel tank and the fuel sender or what ever its called was in peices in the tank i replaced it with a spare went to start car it took a while but it fired up ticked over fine:) could the fuel sender have caused this and the car to run lean while cars on cruise. gonna take the car out for a test 2mora and curious about the new built car.

michael tierney
06-11-2011, 21:37
if it got blocked it would cause leaness but i thought u got low readings?(rich)

LYNCHSTAR
06-11-2011, 21:46
if it got blocked it would cause leaness but i thought u got low readings?(rich)

sorry mate i ment rich. any ideas why the afr,s was between 10 and high 11,s while cruising .

michael tierney
06-11-2011, 21:53
the dis carb is very sensitive to vacuum(ur foot)if u had a vacuum guage fitted and on cruise had a reading of 15 in ur mixture with that jetting shud be lean ...as u get nearer 0(zero)the primary enrichment will kick in.....goes rich

LYNCHSTAR
06-11-2011, 22:06
the dis carb is very sensitive to vacuum(ur foot)if u had a vacuum guage fitted and on cruise had a reading of 15 in ur mixture with that jetting shud be lean ...as u get nearer 0(zero)the primary enrichment will kick in.....goes rich

so on cruise its ok for the car to run between 10 and high 11,s

michael tierney
06-11-2011, 22:07
check again that the float needle is'nt sticking...as in a dripping main venturi nozzle or accellerator pump nozzle................might happen when veiwed at idle very occasionally

Tony Walker
06-11-2011, 23:01
Sometimes its a bit of a fiddle to get it to not shoot to the 11's while cruising, mines perfect at 60in 5th at 14.8-15 but at 50 in 5th its shoots in to the 11's trying to keep speed up.
I think the slightly higher rpms pull more air in along with the 285 cam and seem to settle the fueling out at slightly higher rpms for cruising. Its only my personal experience in the last 3-4 weeks of having my 5 back on the road after a complete rebuild plus a 285.
You end up constantly watching your afr gauge driving lol.