PDA

View Full Version : Welding patches

tiff_lee
17-11-2008, 23:10
Just a quick one for the welding experts/gurus, I plan on welding some patches to my five and the welding itself isn't the problem.

What i'm curious about is whether or not it is possible to coat the area being patched over to prevent it rusting underneath. Basically would the overlapping area of the patch be at risk of rusting underneath(between the two layers of metal)?

Not sure if I have made my point clear enough, I know what i'm trying to say hopefully you understand me :)

car.crash
17-11-2008, 23:15
you would need to treat the new are after the welding has been done otherwise the weld will burn the paint off and the weld would be crappy. i take it your on about sills?

tiff_lee
17-11-2008, 23:22
Yes mate, I know to treat it afterwards just didnt know if the area being patched over should be treated in anyway (after being cleaned to bare metal) prior to being patched.

phase i 16 v turbo
18-11-2008, 08:53
If you can avoid patching over and try and cut out the rot, as the rot will still there underneath.

michael tierney
18-11-2008, 21:54
u can weld through zinc rich primer!!

tiff_lee
18-11-2008, 22:10
I was planning on removing all rost and rot bringing it back to bare metal, perhaps even cutting out the worst of it prior to patching.

Excellent suggestion Michael! zinc rich primer I think is just the thing I was looking for, now I can prime the area to be covered by the patch so no worries of any exposed metal underneath.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Philclubman
18-11-2008, 22:15
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Best way is to cut out any rust and weld in a fresh peice of steel, its not really any more dificult, if you plate over the rust, it will rust through the new patch soon enough.

If you cant cut parts out, grind them back as best you can and use some rust inhibitor then plate over it

dj13
18-11-2008, 22:16
Excellent suggestion Michael! zinc rich primer I think is just the thing I was looking for, now I can prime the area to be covered by the patch so no worries of any exposed metal underneath.

What about the area behind?? That is ware most the damage orrurs ie the water seeps into inner sill and collects runs into outer etc etc.

warpspeed
19-11-2008, 09:10
You can buy a spray on zinc primer thats weld through from a company called Frost, i've used it loads its a blue liquid that once dried can be welded through easily and the fumes are ok. Then treat anything welded and bare metal with a product called por15, it forms a rubber like coating. iv'e painted panels 6 years ago with it and not painted them.............still no rust! :D